Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Using c02 for mig welding.

Senior User Club Member paul james's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hobby bottles last me ages too, takes me by surprise as I heard from others that they barely do anything. I don't even bother taking the reg off it or anything. I hadn't used my welder in months after putting new sills on a mx5, but did again this week and the little bottle still had gas in it.

Club Member Club Member Royston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although it's been covered........use argon/CO2 mix and there are more experience welders already advised.........

CO2 was/is used in the Jap auto industry, to manufacture subframes/components it produces deeper penetration than Argon/CO2 mix, but it is more unstable, and always looks like shite........... take the advice above

It use to scare me looking at Japanese manufactured components......
    Regards

Royston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torquey View Post
    Don't know how they last you ages! There a complete waste of time. Didn't even get started before it ran out. Big bottle work out a lot cheaper.
    You lot must use the teeny tiny dinky ones then not the bigger super duper higher psi ones!

Edit: 110 ltr capacity @ 165bar. 3 bottles for £36. So thats 330 cubic ltrs for 36 quid....
    Last edited by Mike; 26-04-16 at 08:49 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can still weld ok with co 2
    if your welding thin metal you need to turn the settings down . Min 1 will weld it with out blowing holes using either co2 or argon
    practise first on some plate the same thickness as what you want to weld don't try to do long welds either as the heat will build up an it will burn through
    If you can put some alu sheet behind the steel you are welding it will help as the alloy absorbs the heat
    co 2 / argon mix does give a neater cleaner weld but I would say its 90% welding ability an 10 % gas

You have Clarke welder try min 1 ( possibly min 2 but I doubt the nova body panels will take it )
    an wire speed between 6 an 7
    Last edited by dan23; 27-04-16 at 05:53 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the help everyone think I have a leak somewhere so need some more gas. Leak first though