Thread: 1.2i merit + stalling

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.2i merit + stalling

Hi everyone my 1st post here . I have a 1993 3 door 1.2 I merit + and it is stalling at idle and cuts out . Even when I have been driving a while and sit in idle for a minute and try to pull away it starts to misfire. Or If I don't rev high then it will cut out. Any ideas would be much appreciated thanks.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how long since its had a service ?

fuel filter might be a bit clogged up

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi I had it serviced 2 days ago but the fuel filter wasn't changed. Also the water pump and cambelt has been changed. I have bought the fuel filter and will put this on hopefully tomorrow. Also today the fan has not been cutting in and the temperature gauge is very eratic. if I turn the indicators on the temp gauge goes a bit crazy likewise if I turn the lights on as well. Its doing my head in !! Thanks for your reply.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was it running crap before the service too ? have you just bought it ?

check all the main earth lead connections in the engine bay for corrosion, or poor contact. clean them up with sandpaper and grease if need be.

- battery to body
    - gearbox to body
    - inlet manifold to alternator bracket
    - wiring loom to body

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As above first check would be the earth strap from the gearbox to the chassis leg.

Also clean the contacts on the transponder that is connected to the top of your gearbox, the earth wire on this sends a signal to your speedo and if it's not reading correctly it can make your car cut out sometimes.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi hanks again for your replies. Yes I bought it recently . The speedo wasn't working so I took the dash and gave it a tap and it's worked. But no issue with the temp gauge. After service and changing the seed idle sensor it has gone crazy. I pressed my brakes today and the stereo turned off them back on again!. I can also see the dash board light very faintly when there is no key isn't the ignitions. But I will check the earthing wires. Also the fan hasn't cut in yet I managed to change the rad sensor but will try and put the thermostat in. Really appreciate your help guys thanks

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like youve deffo got some electrical issues there, a short circuit, or a bad earth.
    might be worth checking the loom earth at the back of the car too, if the brake lights are involved. theres a small brown wire attached to the body/floor pan, not far from the boot catch and light surrounds at the back end.
    it might be worth taking a quick look at the fusebox too, at the bottom of the dash, to make sure nothings melted in there.

the temp gauge, have a look at the inlet manifold, theres a small temp sensor with a blue wire connected by spade connector, check that sensor, and the wire are both making good contact to each other, and are clean.

the rad fan, you can manually test the circuit by unplugging the connecter, and bridging the 2 wires/pins in the connector end, which will trip the circuit, and the fan should burst into life, and give you a mild heart attack, if its ok.

id recommend getting yourself a cheap multimeter, or a light tester, so you check all these wires for power and earth signals
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 15-03-16 at 11:43 PM.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi jimbob I did the rad test with a paperclip and the fan did work. Hence I changed the rad switch. I spoke to my mate and he is also saying bad Earth and in the morning will be doing something with jump leads to test the earth. I will also check the blue connection on the temp sensor and see how it is. I just spent some money on the car making look very good i.e the arches have been resprayed and fitted coilovers. It is a car which I was not allowed to have in my teenage years which I am now able to appreciate it. Thanks again for all the suggestions I will keep you updated

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update . It's all sweet now. It was the earth from the battery which was very loose. I appreciate everyone's input and help thank you very much. Just got to see if the fan cuts in when it's really hot.