Page 1 of 78 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: brucers GT/LET wip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default brucers GT/LET wip.

Hi all, some people might remember seeing my nova on here but hey ho.

Took it off the road at the end of summer last year with plans to build a high spec small block xe. Had a change of mind as a couple of my mates were going bigger power in there cars so thought id join them. Have been tinkering with it since Christmas, mainly just stripped it all down so I could get cracking with it.

My plans now are an LET on phase 2, maybe 3 but will decide when the time comes.
    Engine will be fully rebuilt, hopefully bored out, forged pistons etc etc.

Exterior wise, it will stay the same, wheels powder coated anthracite, cut out for the front mount and smooth my rear bumper to match the front. Ideas will change over the process though.
    Rear of the interior will be stripped so the bare paint is on show with the front section still be slightly road going with carpets, my leather interior etc. other interior ideas will be getting the front section of the cage, battery in the boot and carbon fibre panels.

It will be a road car but a slight track look to it, nothing ott. Will be looking to use it on the track too if I get time to use it out there.

Money is a big factor at the mo, but ill get parts when I can afford to, not in a big rush as i've given my self till next summer at the least to have most of it done.

Here's a link to my old WIP. How it was looking when I finished it last year.
    http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90662

and here are pics of my progress.

I started off by removing the engine, easy enough task.

I then stripped the interior out and anything else that needed to come off, pretty much everything. haha.

Bought myself a chassis plating kit so towed it over to a local body man I know so he could do the work. Was impressed with his welding but I think he over charged me a tadge, not one to argue so I paid.

Once I got the car back I started on lowering the tie bars and strengthening the lower arms, bought some 25mm box section and some round bar. I cut a template of the lower arm and then outlined this onto some sheet metal, after I cut them out I welded them to the arms. after this I cut the round bar to the correct size and bolted everything together.

I will be having all my suspension parts powder coated but this wont need to be done until im further down the road and finished with most of the mock up.

Sourced my self an f28 box and the gear box spacer, drilled and tapped the holes to fit the gearbox mount. While I had nothing else to do I thought id make a rose jointed linkage whilst I had to modify the linkage for the f28. came out alright, but haven’t tested it on the car yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wanted to get everything in place for so I know what has to be cut and moved so I don’t have to do it once it’s all painted.
    Next was to fit the engine and box, for this I had to go out and buy an engine crane, the crane I brought is fairly old and doesn’t fold down. With this in mind to go and fetch it I had the previous owner cut the legs off and remove the jib. Once I got it back I made up some angle iron plates and fitted them to the crane. With laziness and it being too time consuming I only drilled one hole for a bolt on each leg…..this turned out to be a big mistake.

So once I knew it couldn’t take the weight I decided I had to drill more holes for bolts. I then did so, so I had a bolt coming in from sideways. “Result” im thinking, lifts engine up and moves it towards the car. A massive twang and the one bolt going in sideways had snapped. I was using m10 bolts….oops. So a new bolt was fitted and another bolt coming in from the top, this has held up for know. Even though it’s still a bit sketchy.
    Too test to see if it could take the weight my mate jumped up to check.

The rubber mount needed to fit the new engine was still attached to the old metal mount, didn’t have a vice to undo the bolts so the next best thing---

On with fitting the engine, seeing how my engine crane wasn’t too safe I decided it had to go in from the front. Cut the slam panel out and phoned my big grizzly mate Karl to come help with the fitting. Got it up and in so far then Karl man handled the thing into place.

Took a while to get it lined up but was bolted up on the o/s/f mount and the rear box mount.

Karl’s motor below.

Acquired myself another garage to rent, so happens to be directly opposite to mine. Bargain.

Fitted up a turbo for the mock up purpose as I had nothing else to do.

Started to save some money as I the next step was to buy a welder and mount the f28mount. Found a 2nd hand one on eBay which I drove 2 and half hours to collect.

Was in good working condition. The exterior was grubby so I sorted that out.

Painted it Arden blue. Once I had my fun with making it look nice I got the engine level and welded the mount on.

Started to strip the rest of the interior, dash out and then the loom.

Didn’t realize how big a nova loom was!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like new original white paint behind the dash.

Bought some more goodies as they came up cheap on eBay.
    Cam belt cover with holes cut out for vernier pulleys, a 3inch downpipe and a rear strut brace.

Needed to buy some more parts for the mock up, got hold of 2nd hand enlarged stainless AFM to turbo pipe. Went about trying to fit it, cut some of the front panel but there was no way it was ever going to fit properly.

Sold that one and bought a silicone one, much better fit.
    Then I ordered a 3inch top hat, might be overkill but I like it.

Onto the radiator position, moved it over and forward slightly, marked my holes then drilled. Still have to secure it at the top but will do that when I have a bit of time

I phoned up forge motorsport to order my intercooler, was told they had a 3week waiting time for the coolers to be made, 2weeks went by and it arrived. (which was Thursday just gone) all excited I opened up my package to see that they had made the wrong one, I wanted a type 8 with 63mm outlets and they made me a type 4 with 63mm outlets. Mega pixxed off!!! Phoned them on Friday and explained that ill try make it work over the weekend if not they can have it back and I want the one I ordered to start with.

As I want the cooler mounted in the front bumper I thought it was best to make it fit in there first then cut the lower panel so it fits perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had to cut the lower panel to recess the cooler back, marked where I had to cut.

Cut it out and tested the cooler in place, had to fettle it in a few places but got it to fit the best that it ever was.

Offered the bumper up and it fouled a few places, trimmed the bumper a bit and still couldn’t get it to fit correctly. Main problem is that the outlets are too close to the bumper, the type 8 which I had ordered have the outlets higher so they’ll fit better with the bumper.

As you can see in the pics there’s lots more room higher up the bumper so ill get them to pick the cooler up on Monday and hopefully get the correct one back.

That’s it for now, more will be updated when I pull my finger out and I have more money.

Thanks for looking.

bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

love the look of this will be even better with the let

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

awesome work mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

niiiiiiiiice lovin the mk 1's

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work, will be keeping an eye on this! Always liked the look of your car and you are going to seriously love LET power.

Make sure you get a Diff in that gearbox and an equal length driveshaft setup for extra driveability!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

top effort mate and lucky your crane held out or your monkey mate could of claimed

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good work dude.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce