Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Project 1990 to 2016 (hopefully)

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not loads of progress made but beam is almost finished now I have handbrake cables and the bolts and nuts for the ARB and handbrake equaliser. Just got to get the bearing races pressed in to the drums and I could wrap it up and put it one side ready for fitting. The welding should resume this weekend and I am going to rebuild the driveshafts now I have all the bits prepped (shafts nicely powder coated).

I am probably there with 95% of the stuff I needed to source and buy but no doubt a few little bits will crop up along the way. Its silly things like the caliper slide mounts as I have gone for the ATE calipers and 236mm vented discs so got a different carrier.
    Last edited by slimtater; 13-01-16 at 10:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread Tim. Think I've had some bits of you via Richard.

Good luck with it, Sports are for men with deep pockets especially this sort of build!

Subscribed

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I ask what are the hand brake cables hidden in? I'm sure when I took my rear beam off the cable wasn't hidden like that.
    Cheers Nick

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    Can I ask what are the hand brake cables hidden in? I'm sure when I took my rear beam off the cable wasn't hidden like that.
    Cheers Nick
    It's just the normal cable setup for that period of Nova as far as I know - later ones appear a little thinner and more exposed perhaps?

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRimon View Post
    Great thread Tim. Think I've had some bits of you via Richard.

Good luck with it, Sports are for men with deep pockets especially this sort of build!

Subscribed
    Thanks for that - yes, deep pockets that are now almost empty and lots to do. Hopefully I have bought all the expensive stuff now and just have the welding and paintwork to pay for. I am going to rebuild it myself (perhaps with a bit of help) for free!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slimtater View Post
    It's just the normal cable setup for that period of Nova as far as I know - later ones appear a little thinner and more exposed perhaps?
    Yeah mine is a k reg and from what I remember from removing the rear beam the handbrake cable was completely exposed, not sleved like yours seems to be.
    Thanks Nick

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After cleaning up the CV joints, started to put the driveshafts back together. Not quite there but some taster pictures:

Last edited by slimtater; 15-01-16 at 06:08 PM.

yorkshire: Drives. A3 Sline,Octavia VRS & J20LTB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I've never really been a sport fan Its great to see one being rebuilt within Its original shell and ID! So many opt not too however then It's never true and an original Sport in my eyes. Looks like your going about everything proper so It will make for a great read and build! All the best with it I'm sure their will be some testing times ahead!

Nick.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear beam now finished - no more pictures of that I promise!

I know this has dragged on a bit but apart from putting the brake lines on when its put back on the car, the beam is now finished. The final bit was getting the bearings and drums in place and only had one hiccup. I honestly thought the dust caps went all the way in so ended up taking the split pin out and replacing it twice before deciding there was no way it was going on any further:

Also started on the front hubs today but had a bit of an "issue" when pressing one in to the bearing/knuckle. It mustn't have been seated correctly on the press and the bearing centre came out meaning a complete strip down and once I have another genuine front bearing, start again. Fortunately, the freshly powder coated knuckle and brand new hub have survive ok. The good one:

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

....I did think about building up the fronts a bit more but just a bit wary that you end up with quite heavy bits that you are then trying to line up with the upright etc. Plus I need to get my caliper carriers re-plated so perhaps a good point to pause.

The great news is that my welder is back and cracking on with the floor and chassis repairs so hopefully by the end of tomorrow, the shell will have made a bit of progress. Pictures to follow....