Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Project 1990 to 2016 (hopefully)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A build thread that actually is full of info and worth a read, Edd take note only joke matey

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read so far, keep it coming...

Just one thing, the pictures are tiny

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    A build thread that actually is full of info and worth a read, Edd take note only joke matey
    I will be doing a update on mine over next month

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 5 - dismantling, buying more bits and getting the shell ready for rebuilding

So this is where the work and spending really began. I knew that the rebuild would require front wings, front panel, sills, rear quarters (inner and outer), bonnet, boot and doors as well as lots of work on the chassis and floor. The car was stripped down and after scraping around 30 years of underseal off the underside and cutting away the obvious bad bits, the shell went for soda blasting and then a coat of epoxy primer. I went epoxy even though I knew the shell would be in a heated/dehumidified garage as I wasn't sure how long it would take to do this phase. I can highly recommend soda blasting as it managed to save some bits from distortion yet still getting at the bits that were past saving:

As can be seen, it also revealed some nasty repairs! So, now sat in my garage are new front wings (genuine and came from Europe via this site), front lower panel/crossmember, battery tray, both full sills, both full rear quarters (including inners), donor bonnet/boot/doors and as the donor drivers door isn't the best, I also have a new doorskin and lower repair panel. There is also a lot of fabrication and repair work to do such as chassis legs, spring mounts and floor sections. Again through Rich I have found a great welder/fabricator and here are a couple of bits of his work:

After cutting out

After repair

These are the only pics I have of this stage but they are a good example of the work and effort going in to making the shell good. This won't resume until January but ideally to keep to my deadline, I would like the shell to be ready for paint in late February/early March.

One thing you learn is that sourcing bits for a Sport isn't cheap - some of this is due to rarity but in some cases, its just the premium that people want to charge if they know its something a Sport needs. I have been really lucky with people who have helped me out and there are some really helpful people out there! However, I have still had to spend well in excess of what the car would have cost when new and that's before I have paid for welding, paint and the engine rebuild.

So, what else have I done?

Well I bought a donor engine and gearbox to assist with the rebuilding of the engine using my original block and hopefully the 108 cam. I dropped the whole lot off at a local engine builders with a great reputation for these engines last month and the aim is to get a nice build back in March time. Nothing too OTT but if there is a bit of lightening, balancing, polishing and porting, then will get that done. The main objective is to keep the original and verified engine number and the 108 cam as part of the rebuild. Forgot to mention, Andrew D has verified my car as one of the originals and there is even the sub story about the SONO that came with mine. In a nutshell, it is believed to be the Sport that had its 40s removed by its first owner but then had them/some put back on - they were on correctly when I had it in 1990! Another story for another day....

I have had a lot of bits shot-blasted and powder coated ready for rebuilding (not quite to Lee V/Sean K levels but enough for the time being) and this from memory includes:

Rear beam, rear drums and backplates, rear ARB, front knuckle, engine and gearbox mounts, front ARB/tie bars (Nova GTE ones), front disc backplates, tie bar mounts, airbox and front arms/wishbones. I am sure there is more but it was a big box that went and came back!

I am going to go for subtle mods such as Bilstein B14s, vented 236mm discs and poly bushes but nothing much more than that:

(Just noticed the box says B16 but it was B14 on the order form!!)

Just to remind you, whilst all this has been happening, I have had new parts arriving almost daily. If I was to guess, well over 50% of the car will be new and that includes front brake discs, calipers, wheel bearings, hubs, radiator, alternator, starter motor. I have also refurbished a few bits and this will be the case throughout - a Corsa B ePAS rack (without ePAS) has had new track rods/track rod ends so I have a budget quick rack:

(I accept that this is never going to be a perfect, concourse car but I am trying to do the best I can with home mechanic skills and limited facilities!)

The driveshafts have been stripped and the shafts powder coated and they will be rebuilt with new gaitors etc. The original steel wheels have been refurbished, fitted with Firestone Multihawks and they will be finished off with BRAND NEW correct trims:

I might leave it there for now and perhaps part 6 (or part 5 the sequel) will have the list extended with other items. Correct 1.3 badges, new door handles, a replacement dash and even a correct coin tray are some of the additions. If anyone wants the spreadsheet with the list and cost to scare them, just ask .....
    Last edited by slimtater; 20-12-15 at 12:25 PM.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mk1nova_rich View Post
    Good read so far, keep it coming...

Just one thing, the pictures are tiny
    Can't you click on them for full size? Nothing worse than reading a thread and having to scroll through the huge pics !

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Firstly well done on tracking down the car.

I can see you have your head screwed on and have the drive to get the car finished. Rich is a absolute gent, you won't find better than him. Using his vast knowledge and network of contacts will speed the build up no end.

Good luck with the build and I will keep an eye on it. ☺

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry12 View Post
    Firstly well done on tracking down the car.

I can see you have your head screwed on and have the drive to get the car finished. Rich is a absolute gent, you won't find better than him. Using his vast knowledge and network of contacts will speed the build up no end.

Good luck with the build and I will keep an eye on it. ☺
    Thanks Jerry - you are 100% correct regarding Rich but not sure my head is screwed on. 45 and dodgy knees - I really shouldn't be rebuilding Novas over winter!

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just in case nobody has made the connection yet!

My target date for completing the rebuild is August 2016 - next August. 8 months away. Its an important date for me and the car.

It would be great to have it ready for Billing 2016, especially as I have accommodation there booked.

I think both dates are ambitious and I will have to call in more favours than I can ever pay back to meet it. I am going to give it my best shot though so if this thread doesn't get too many updates, you know why - I am doing the doing rather than writing about the doing (or not doing)!

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats an excellent thread, im so glad that you managed to trace your car as it obviously holds many cherished memories for you, I look forward to reading your updates. I do agree with you regarding parts cost and availability, there are a lot of helpful members around so you should be able to locate some parts quickly. I've had a lot of luck sourcing parts from Germany and Greece. As these little cars get more scarce then it can be tricky finding the bits you need, especially for the earlier ones, but they do eventually turn up. It would be great to see your car at Billing as last years Sport selection was fantastic, Billing is a great event, just can't guarantee the British weather. Keep up the good work.

Newbie Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic thread here for inspiration to others with their restorations - superb !

Good luck with your deadline !