Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Project 1990 to 2016 (hopefully)

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgot to add, I also have two brand new genuine doors to go along with my new and genuine wings - all courtesy of duick/Steve. Top bloke!

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They don't look too bad from the pics and let's be honest if you can get them pretty decent, with help from a professional firm perhaps?, they may well be good enough to fit back in the car. I would much rather see original stuff in a car like yours, with a few small issues, than brand new - not quite the same fabric etc type of things. If you know what I mean. Yet at the end of the day,if you can get hold of some better ones and can afford them, go for it.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the less worse quarter is more worse than we hoped!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stick a load of tube in there

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But being ever positive, I spoke to a body shop today to see if I can get it in late July. That should give enough time to repair that quarter, tidy up with a light skim of filler, paint the underside and get the front panel swapped.

Also thinking ahead to the next stage after paint and what to use for cavity wax:

http://www.rust.co.uk/mil-spec-trans...kit-a-/p487954

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-...ments/dynax-uc

http://www.rejel.com/dinitrol-clear-...g-aerosol-kit/

Read a few suggestions on here but nothing conclusive.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    Stick a load of tube in there
    What of, expanding foam?

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as a bit of a change from the body repairs, went to pick up my rebuilt engine today. A big shout out for Vinny and Mansfield Engine Centre as he has delivered perfectly (and some) on what I wanted.

Basically the original Sport engine had failed during a sprint at MIRA so I wasn't optimistic that it could be saved. It needed a replacement crank as it looked like throwing a bearing cap may have been the root cause but I am really pleased that the original block has been saved and reused (keeping the original engine number was important to me) and there is also a genuine 108 cam in there as well. A few other bits have been done such as lightening, balancing and flowing/skimming plus a few new bits added. I also wanted a fairly factory finish and I think it looks perfect for a 31 year old engine! :-)

I have brand new bits to go on such as a starter, alternator, fuel pump, dizzy and I have a better cambelt cover as well.
    Last edited by slimtater; 13-06-16 at 10:35 PM.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice mate, I love the attention to detail and that you are building a great car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stunning

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slimtater View Post
    So as a bit of a change from the body repairs, went to pick up my rebuilt engine today. A big shout out for Vinny and Mansfield Engine Centre as he has delivered perfectly (and some) on what I wanted.

Basically the original Sport engine had failed during a sprint at MIRA so I wasn't optimistic that it could be saved. It needed a replacement crank as it looked like throwing a bearing cap may have been the root cause but I am really pleased that the original block has been saved and reused (keeping the original engine number was important to me) and there is also a genuine 108 cam in there as well. A few other bits have been done such as lightening, balancing and flowing/skimming plus a few new bits added. I also wanted a fairly factory finish and I think it looks perfect for a 31 year old engine! :-)

I have brand new bits to go on such as a starter, alternator, fuel pump, dizzy and I have a better cambelt cover as well.
    Looking good

the only I have noticed is modern type head bolts have been used instead of the original type, if u wanted attention to detail