Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport Project 1990 to 2016 (hopefully)

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit it to you and glad its working a little better now, cant wait to see it at some shows!
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not posted much recently as been busy and yes, the TVR has gone and been replaced by a Monaro. Really enjoying that one and the noise is just the best I have had a car make!

The Sport did its first show at Tatton and made the 100 mile round trip pretty trouble free. Its still not running 100% but that requires the carbs to come off and either be stripped and rebuilt or replaced. I have another set of genuine Sport ones away being refurbished so probably a swap over after summer. I also need to sort a servo out as I have a borrowed one on at the moment that has lets call it patina.

I did fit its new alloys over the weekend but haven't actually driven it since.

Yes it did get wet:

The 'ro after a coat of wax:

New boots:

Now I have to admit to liking the steels and trims, mainly because they are how I remember it from 1990-1992. However, these alloys just seem to tone it down nicely...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liking the wheels on the sport. They give it a modern twist

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I really like the wheels also. Lovely car.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So when does a project stop being a project? C67 has now done just over 400 pretty much trouble free miles, including a trip to Tatton and its "debut" at VBOA. There are a few niggles but nothing major that detract from it being great to drive.

With coilovers as well as poly bushes, there are a few "squeaks" from the suspension but I suspect this is just the bushes as nothing is loose. The flat spot between 2000-2500 isn't as noticeable now as you tend to drive around it - it revs so sweetly up to 7000rpm that I am contemplating a rev limiter. The new gearbox with the 4.29 final drive seems a good match for the engine as well - cruising back up the M1 from VBOA was fine. My youngest daughter remains shocked that it doesn't have aircon or a radio so I wind the windows down a lot!!

So what next? Well the carbs are now off again as I have another genuine set that have been rebuilt and the carb man is coming on Friday to fit and set them up. Hopefully, this will cure the idling problems once and for all. I also have a servo away being refurbished so that will be swapped when it comes back. I also have a few plans for the interior to freshen it up a little more - I have been stockpiling a few bits of seats and fabric so hopefully it will look a bit better inside. I have also bought a new Quaife ATB diff although I am in two minds about fitting this. I want to see if it actually feels like it needs it once the carbs are swapped and the engine properly set up.

I will keep updates going but I think it will be over a longer period of time. The full rebuild took 18 months which was pretty good going for a first timer in his home garage! :-)

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice picture from VBOA thanks to Opel Fruits:

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slimtater View Post
    A nice picture from VBOA thanks to Opel Fruits:

Hi just like to say it looks really really good your thread is my inspiration mine was pretty much same as yours in same areas I've done same IE epoxy 121 as you know I sent you various pms . I've now scuffed up the epoxy 121 using 120 grit sand paper and I'm ready to spray the raptor liner .
    I just wondered what thinners you used IE standard 2 pack thinners etc to get it through a gravity fed gun and get a nice finish I've looked it up and upol say use a urethane reducer ???
    Many thanks sam

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SRsam View Post
    Hi just like to say it looks really really good your thread is my inspiration mine was pretty much same as yours in same areas I've done same IE epoxy 121 as you know I sent you various pms . I've now scuffed up the epoxy 121 using 120 grit sand paper and I'm ready to spray the raptor liner .
    I just wondered what thinners you used IE standard 2 pack thinners etc to get it through a gravity fed gun and get a nice finish I've looked it up and upol say use a urethane reducer ???
    Many thanks sam
    Thanks for that Sam - yes, just used a tiny bit of normal thinners. We used the Schutz gun without thinners for the more textured areas and then the gravity gun with a little bit of thinners over the rest. The more visible areas such as under the arches then got a blow over with body paint as the Raptor doesn't quite have the same sheen:

You can see the Schutz v gravity guns on this picture:

Got loads more pics if you need them!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slimtater View Post
    Thanks for that Sam - yes, just used a tiny bit of normal thinners. We used the Schutz gun without thinners for the more textured areas and then the gravity gun with a little bit of thinners over the rest. The more visible areas such as under the arches then got a blow over with body paint as the Raptor doesn't quite have the same sheen:

You can see the Schutz v gravity guns on this picture:

Got loads more pics if you need them!
    Thanks for the pictures under the arches looks really good almost factory but obviously with a much more robust paint I'm going to try do same did you just use the shultz gun over seams etc no seam sealer?
    Thanks for your time in posting the pictures etc as soon as I know how to upload pictures I'm going to start my own build thread 2016 - 2026 )

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I thought it was only polite to give an update! You may recall I mentioned I had a 2nd set of Sport carbs to go on - well they did at the end of July and the car is LOADS better. It has only had a static setup and it is on the competition jet settings. I may have also been a bit OTT and gone up to 30mm chokes but if need be I will change it back to the 28mm. It goes in for a rolling road session at the end of October but I managed to get around 70 miles of driving on a nice day in summer and its night n day better.

As part of my "winter project" I also got another servo fully refurbished and put that on last week. Here are a couple of pics with the new carbs and servo on:

Got a few more bits to do over winter - I am going to replace the bonnet decal as its not quite right which is a shame as its nicely fitted. Also got a couple of trim bits to replace for slightly better ones.

Roll on 2018 for more driving time than this year!