Thread: Gym talk

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    What sort of program you following at the gym? Trying to build muscle mostly or losing fat?
    Me? Lose belly fat build muscle, obviously losing belly fat is down to kcal intake building muscle is down to lifting, I pay £80 a month for one 1-1 a week with a well known coach, just need to keep a better check on my kcals.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wwmnw View Post
    To strip fat its all about what you eat, calories in vs calories out so if you take in 2500 cals a day but only put out 2300 you will put fat on, if you take in 2500 but put out 2600 you will lose fat.

I know, which is what i'm doing.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It does take a long time

Senior User Club Member paul james's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I set my mind to losing weight a few years back, I did it quickly. I lost a stone and a half in two weeks, by exercising nearly every day and just downsizing my portions when cooking and cutting out often eaten junk like ice cream and too much bread. I was feeling hungry going to sleep at night, but feeling a little bit hungry isn't going to kill you and it was basically telling me I was getting it right and burning off more than I was putting in.

You just have to make sure what you do eat is actually good food, so its just the body fat your getting rid of. Losing the weight gave me more energy, let me run quicker and helped show off the effort I put into sit-ups, which is the motivation to keep up the lifestyle change. Losing weight quickly is said by some to be a bad thing, but it was good for me as seeing obvious results in a short time stopped me from giving up, as I'd never stuck to exercising or eating reasonably healthy for very long before.

I don't count calories or anything, I do try to take in a good amount of protein, I drink two pints of milk a day, eat lots of chicken etc. I try not too eat too much of the obviously bad things full of sugar or crappy carbohydrates. You don't have to get all scientific about a 'diet' thats hard to stick to, or spend your whole life stuck inside a gym, and I think for most people doing that sets them up to fail as its too difficult to maintain.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've also been told by a nutritionist that losing it too quickly isn't good, mainly as its said it can damage your body's metabolism but if it worked for you then well done!

You don't have to count calories etc but it all depends on what your goal is, to build muscle you need to eat in the right amount of calories and macros that your body needs, so the best way to do it is track your kcals and macros, obviously losing fat means you have to cut the kcals down, tracking just gives you an idea on what you've taken in that day and what you can make adjustments on over the week, it doesn't have to be done but for people with a specific goal its a good idea to do it!

You are right though eating more whole foods like good meats, veg fruit and cutting down on bread and sugary crap is a great idea! In the new year I'll be cutting right back on alcohol as this is my weak spot along with crisps but one step at a time!

Hit a new PB of 120kg squat for 5 reps today, could do more the coach even said it looked too easy, bench was 90kg for 5 again too but this isn't the easiest of exercises to improve on quickly plus its nearly my own body weight!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fruit is sugary crap

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice lifts again mate looks like the weight is increasing nicely with your squats.

I done chest this morning, 34kg incline db press 3x8 and flat 3x6 with 80 done some flys too. My bench is down 25kg from this time last year

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Fruit is sugary crap
    Yeah its sugar (sugar is sugar regardless if its refined or natural) but you get some of your macro-nutrients and micro-nutrients from fruits.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    Nice lifts again mate looks like the weight is increasing nicely with your squats.

I done chest this morning, 34kg incline db press 3x8 and flat 3x6 with 80 done some flys too. My bench is down 25kg from this time last year
    Yeah squats aren't too bad but I'll have to be bang on with the nutrition in the new year to start seeing changes otherwise I'll probably plateau or struggle to lift heavier. I tend to like the pec flye as I feel it nip the middle of the chest prefer it to dumbbell chest press as it gets a bit wobbly with free weights but they're always better! Good effort on the incline and flat cant remember what my last was on incline been that long since I've done it!

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lat pull downs pb of 150kg 3x20. That was crimbo eve, going to moz hoping i can carry that on.

Hoping it wont be packed in the gym yet too.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

150kg 3X20? That's a massive amount mate, my max is 80kg for 10 reps, you sure the gym you use is kg and not lbs?