That could be bad news if people have had some fail before

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    I'm more than capable of doing it, despite my skillset comment, but my wife and I are trying to get approved as adopters at present and I'm so busy with work it's just a time factor really, plus tooling to do the job, the boys at Modus have everything!! Darren and Jay have also just built another 20XE for someone else with a Nova, along with many other big power engines, their reputation locally speaks for itself. Trust them 1000%

I agree with the idea that the lifter will have less deviation it in path compared to the valve, that makes total sense!! I also specifically asked QED about spring cups and they said it's a no also to remove them.
    off topic but,Good luck with the adoption mate!, me and are lass have our pannel date on the 9th of December, i know what you mean about hard work!! but it will be worth it in the end!! how far along are you??? are you in stage 2 yet??? kind reguards Pete

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pete17 View Post
    off topic but,Good luck with the adoption mate!, me and are lass have our pannel date on the 9th of December, i know what you mean about hard work!! but it will be worth it in the end!! how far along are you??? are you in stage 2 yet??? kind reguards Pete
    PM sent mate!! haha brilliant!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    I get shims made/have in stock which have 8mm location, they locate on the dick on the bucket.
    The original design only has 2.4mm location and locate on the valve above the collets, but if you hit the rev limiter or get a bit of valve float/bounce the shims flip off even if located on the bucket, my deep locating shims do not come off, they do need to be ground to size, some followers have a tapered dick and need some of the location reduced to ensure they seat properly.
    Try to fine out the supply of cam buckets, they look a bit thin on the perimeter wall thickness, some collapse, some split.

Steve
    Thanks for your input Steve, appreciate your time and knowledge, the buckets pictured are just some stock pics from QED, I believe that I've got Piper buckets but as these were sourced by Phil, I'm not really in a position, nor do I have the inclination, to contact him to ask!!

I'll send you a PM and you can let me know about ordering some from you, grinding them is not a problem, Modus have a valve grinder so it shouldn't be a problem to get the sizes exactly correct.

It makes perfect sense about them being located on the "dick" instead of the top of the valve, Darren had expressed a wish to mount the shims this way also but was concerned that it wouldn't be possible with the shims I'd got from QED. He'll be over the moon with these shims!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 04-12-15 at 07:52 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    230 thou thick shim is more than I usually used, I would suggest a different cam with a larger base circle diameter, I would guess that that cam has been reground several times or it is a standard cam which a profile with a lot of lift has been ground on to it.
    Small base circle diameters give the cam buckets a hard time due to the high acceleration rate caused by the angle between the base diameter and the start of the cam lobe, larger diameter less angle.

Steve
    The cams are brand new from Newman, PH5's, as far as I know they have been ground from blanks.

I'm also using +1mm valves, not sure if this would affect the valve clearance due to the seats being in a different position to accommodate the larger valve head. I'm going to call Newman to ask if they've seen this before.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 04-12-15 at 07:56 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve,

It is correct, you can see the stickers on the end of the cam, brand new PH5's which Newman list as cut from a blank.

I'll pass this extra info onto him and see what the measurements say, he may well have already done this I just haven't got the info yet as he was continuing to look at the head and see what else may be wrong, he is telling me this, he's said he feels something is a miss with the 230 thou for the inlets as he feels this isn't correct and has asked me to do some digging to see what I can find out.

If you did the port boring would that have also included fitting the the +1 valve seats or would these have been fitted by Phil?!?

The way I'm feeling this head is going in the bin and I'll just send another one direct to Neil Roper and start again.
    Last edited by House; 01-12-15 at 10:44 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

?
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 04-12-15 at 07:53 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok, that clears up what may have gone wrong atleast!!

I'll get the guys to check the installed spring length today and as above see how it looks as discussed above, that will give us an indication as to where the problem may lie.

I'll talk to them and see how they feel, it may well make more sense to bring it to you than chase our tails trying to work out what's wrong.