Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z18xe/x18xe1 technical.....

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes and no, id rather pay that then try and make one myself. They obviously know what they are doing with them and the right material to use etc.

If someone can do it cheaper i am all ears though. Anything to keep costs down is a bonus.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just incase you didnt know.
    from what ive been told, the trickiest bit of installing an x18xe1 is the fuel side.

the engine has no return line, and in its default setup, the in-tank pump controls its output levels accordingly.

to remedy this issue when fitting into another car ... an adjustable pressure regulator, with a gauge, needs to be fitted into the fuel line, and set up just right, for it to fuel properly.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info, mine is going on to throttle bodies so i wont have that problem with the stock engine, but its worth noting for sure.

I can 99% confirm that Piper cams spring kit for a Corsa VXR will work in these engines. Its been used up to 8000 rpm in the VXR engines with no problems. It can cope with up to 12mm lift but thats pushing it. I am just going to run pipers 285 cams for the x14/16 engines with 10mm lift and 2000-7000 power band. The next cams 'up' have a powerband of 3000/7800 and 11.5mm lift on the intake, 11mm on exhaust.

Revving this engine to 7800+ with the stroke it has and using stock components will be pushing your luck. I plan to have a soft rev limit at 7500 and 7750 hard cut.

I had thought about de-stroking it, but that takes away from the fact this engine should make good power and torque over a wide rpm range. With my plan of 11.5-12:1 compression, mid spec cams, non over sized throttle bodies and not revving the crap out of it, it should work pretty good. Coupled with the Quaife sscr f13 in a light car it should go suitably well.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What brand of cams are you going to use Mxcrazy? ive seen catcams are a decent price on LMF website

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, i should have said. Piper cams, pulleys and spring kits.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an info follow up on here because it may be useful in the future to somebody.

Where I am at with the z18xe is as follows.

Z18xe block, crank and head.
    z18xer polished and weight matched rods.
    z18xer weight matched and moly coated pistons.
    1.5mm decomp plate (only needs to be 1.2mm which is an option from ferriday, i need to deck my block) to suit taller xer pistons. (To give 1-1.1mm quench clearance)
    z18xer valves (longer and less recessed on chamber side for more compression) and xer solid lifters (need lash caps, available from Kent auto developments, size depends on cam base circle diameter)
    piper bp300m cams from 14/16xe (290 inlet, 280 exhaust) 34mm base circle.
    piper corsa vxr valve spring kit

cc-ing the head with the xer valves and a plastercene bung instead of spark plug gave me 40.5cc volume.

With those cams and the xer pistons (with oem cut outs) i got 2.6mm inlet valve to piston clearance minimum and 3.8mm on the exhaust side.

By decking the block 0.3mm (with my 1.5mm decomp plate) to get 1-1.1mm quench (piston to head clearance) I am still left with 0.7mm i can skim the head by to increase compression and still have at least 1.5mm piston to valve clearance on the inlet. (Head gasket will squash from 0.4mm to 0.3mm once torqued down tight if you wondered where the other 0.1mm went from 2.6mm pvc to 1.5mm pvc).

I have to do some more measurements but i am looking in the range of 11.5-11.8:1 compression once block decked and head skimmed with good clearance, with pretty ideal quench clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did you ever finish this build? I'm interested in the results