Thread: Achilles tendinitis

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Achilles tendinitis

Anyone else suffered with this? Got it a while ago after doing a lot of running on a treadmill trying to lose weight and get fit (kinda succeeded at the time too) developed a pain in my lower left calf and just thought nothing of it, when I complained to the lad I was training with (he later joined the army) he said shut up and run fatty, so I did.

Couple years later its still here and quite painful at times, been to physio and did as he said which helped but didn't cure. Recently bought some Kinesiology tape (known as KT tape for short) which I'm not sure if I've been duped or if it has helped. Physio said my occupation could be a contributing factor (drayman) but I enjoy my job and enjoy driving, may end up buying an auto car

Anyone had it and cured it? If so how?!

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not had it myself, but just a thought that might help, have you tried those gel insoles in your shoes/trainers.

my nephew had trouble with pain in the same area and he was much better after purchasing some insoles.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strapping it up will help, as it takes the pressure off the muscle.

KT tape does work, but its more for minor stuff i find. I use it is my tennis elbow starts to ache rather than wear a brace.

Have you tried fast walking backwards? As that is meant to do wonders, as you still burn calories off but it takes alot of the strain off... Well so i'm told.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonesfach, if you mean the inserts under the heel they are only meant to be a temporary solution and not a long term fix as they shorten the tendon by lifting the heel which reduces pain but prolonged use can make the tendon shrink slightly causing more pain and meaning you have to use a bigger insert.

If you mean for flat feet and to lift the arch in the middle of your foot, I don't use them but I am slightly flat footed, the physio said its not enough to worry about though, but I have gone done from a size 10 work boot to size 9 which has helped a little.

Benn, when you say strapping it up in what way? Bandage wrapped round the calf/shin? There are videos on youtube by a company called KT Tape that show you how to apply the tape correctly, maybe I did it wrong I'm not sure. I haven't done any cardiovascular work in a while as it irritates the tendon, been focusing on lifting weights as it burns fat better than cardio, cardio is ideal if you want stamina, which I need to work on but cant

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, had it severely in both back in 05/06 couldn't walk properly for three months!
    Then developed it again over the last year, this time I couldn't walk for four months, but I've now got to bottom of the problem, I have AS ankilosing spondylitis, hereditary genetic disease, it took the NHS best part of a year to give me the correct medication,now I'm on it I feel better than I have for years!
    Worth asking the doctors about it, as it's rare, and goes miss diagnosed for a long time in most cases.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sure i've seen special bandages/wraps design to tightly hold the muscle. They go right down to the heel.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try changing your driving position to make it hurt less

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.parker View Post
    Yep, had it severely in both back in 05/06 couldn't walk properly for three months!
    Then developed it again over the last year, this time I couldn't walk for four months, but I've now got to bottom of the problem, I have AS ankilosing spondylitis, hereditary genetic disease, it took the NHS best part of a year to give me the correct medication,now I'm on it I feel better than I have for years!
    Worth asking the doctors about it, as it's rare, and goes miss diagnosed for a long time in most cases.
    Not familiar with that AS you speak of, I did consider going to the doctors but instead went straight for physio and he gave me some stretches to do, I did them for a while and it started feeling better so slacked off the stretching, stood on a bank a few hours one day watching the stockrod and banger racing and its been painful since and no amount of stretching/foam rolling helps! Might go to the doctors, its not massively pain but it can hurt a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    I'm sure i've seen special bandages/wraps design to tightly hold the muscle. They go right down to the heel.
    I'll have a browse on ebay, been buying a lot on there recently for my car as its poorly

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    Try changing your driving position to make it hurt less
    The physio did say my occupation could have an impact so I started changing gear without the clutch (25,000 miles later the slave cylinder went and something broke off the flywheel and locked the gearbox, made me think it was down to the clutchless shifting) I have tried sitting closer and further away from the pedals with no improvement, further away means I'm stretching more when the pedal is down.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same problem. Similar circumstances and I get tendinitis in my feet and ankles up to 10 times a year lasting a week or more depending on the severity. It's very hard to get a clear diagnosis however I would advise to get it looked at otherwise if the tendon snaps it's a severe problem. I ended up with napraxin or something. More effective than ibuprofen.

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NitrousVaux View Post
    I have the same problem. Similar circumstances and I get tendinitis in my feet and ankles up to 10 times a year lasting a week or more depending on the severity. It's very hard to get a clear diagnosis however I would advise to get it looked at otherwise if the tendon snaps it's a severe problem. I ended up with napraxin or something. More effective than ibuprofen.
    That would be naproxin, I tried it, didn't touch it, the only that helped until I got proper treatment was 8 paracetamol a day with 3 diclofenac (strongest anti informatory you can use)

But I'm serious, both of you should look up AS, commonly called informatory arthritis, it effects soft tissue in the body, starting with tendons mainly the achiless..