Thread: Nova stockrod drive train help

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nova stockrod drive train help

Hi guys I was wondering if anybody can help with this problem I keep having on the track. What happens is when I drive the car in 2nd no issues at all. If I collide with something the car drives like it's in first. Over revving and wheel spinning if I pull the car up and leave it it will select 2nd and be fine. We have changed the welded diff and box still does it. Changed the short shaft still the same. It does it at different tracks. Also when o started from a clutch start not a rolling start it did it as well. The clutch is a stage 2 Kevlar option so I haven't ruled it out but wasn't top of my list.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth_C View Post
    Hi guys I was wondering if anybody can help with this problem I keep having on the track. What happens is when I drive the car in 2nd no issues at all. If I collide with something the car drives like it's in first. Over revving and wheel spinning if I pull the car up and leave it it will select 2nd and be fine. We have changed the welded diff and box still does it. Changed the short shaft still the same. It does it at different tracks. Also when o started from a clutch start not a rolling start it did it as well. The clutch is a stage 2 Kevlar option so I haven't ruled it out but wasn't top of my list.

cheers

Had similar before myself, its most likely your clutch release bearing getting jammed/ partially engaged because of the impact, they tend to un release themselves after a delay. Mine was a hydraulic one that the piston was scorred and only partially released when it felt like it !

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tothemark View Post
    Had similar before myself, its most likely your clutch release bearing getting jammed/ partially engaged because of the impact, they tend to un release themselves after a delay. Mine was a hydraulic one that the piston was scorred and only partially released when it felt like it !

Never thought that that we started blaming the clutch as its a evay Panther special thing. And have since read bad reviews on them is there any way of putting a spring on the fork to stop it happening.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im not familiar with that clutch mechanism as i dont use the F series gearboxes, if its hydraulic put a new one in in case its scored at the end of its travel, as the jolt is either distorting it or putting it at its maximum travel length. If its on a lever, see if you can put a tiny spacer/shim in front of it or behind it to effectively reduce the length of travel fractionally (in case its getting jammed against the shaft or fingers). This form of spacer was commonly used in hewland gearboxes when the length of travel needed adjusting, otherwise called a clutch bobbin, it rotates freely. Because your using a racing clutch your probably at the boundaries of thrust bearing travel, which has led to this issue, try and reduce the length of travel.