Thread: 1300s ancillaries onto a 1400 block ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1300s ancillaries onto a 1400 block ?

Well, im sat here looking at all my bits and working out my route to putting together a high performance 8v 1400 using what i have to the best of their abilities.

I intend to use either my 1300 big valve head 35mm inlets with solid lifters or my c14se 38mm head and move the solid lifters across and existing high lift cam into it. Got to measure the combustion chamber on this c14se as it looks extremely shallow. So im off to the park to look for some used syringes before i commit that swap. But will update the cc later on the thread to try to fathom out the CR.

My bigger dilemma is the bottom end as i have a very nice TTV flywheel which is the small diameter one about 260mm across the face including ring gear and im wanting a 1400 block to take it. I presume the mpi 1400's use the bigger flywheel am i therefore limited to 1400 carb engines if i want to move all the stuff across ? If so what engine block numbers and models of cars should i be looking out for as a doner ?

I dont want to bore the 1300 out to 1400 as the 20mm gudgeons have no 77.8mm HC forged pistons (with pocketed valve cups) available on the market. The nearest being the 1200 mahle ones which i cannot source.

As I may have a source for rods and forged pocketed 1400 pistons with 18mm gudgeons it looks like the 1400 carb block would be my best donor, so need help in identyfying one.

Much appreciated

Just so you can see my bag of bits (2 x stripped 1300's) and the dilemma i'm in..

http://s614.photobucket.com/user/tot...fs7af.jpg.html

http://s614.photobucket.com/user/tot...ny1zu.jpg.html
    Last edited by tothemark; 10-08-15 at 04:22 PM.

Senior User Club Member Novasport's Avatar
    Derby, Derbyshire. Drives: Nova Sport, BMW M3, Nova Swing, Peugeot 208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you just not overbore the 1300 block and put the 1400 forged internals in? From memory the 1300 block is slightly taller than a 1400 so you can deck it or use the head of your choice to correct compression.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Ns,

With boring out the 1300 im concerned about bore flex and loss of compression under extreme chat, so the better option would be a 1400 that took the small TTV flywheel.

I am picking up a 1200ST low mileage (40k) engine shortly and until i open her up i wont know if she will hone out or not, either way im sure i will end up melting the standard pistons in her even with liberal use of octane booster when i go this route - so was looking at a longer term option.

I would be interested to know block sizes of the 1200,1300,1400 tho so that im in a position to calc everything up from a given.

TTM

Senior User Club Member Novasport's Avatar
    Derby, Derbyshire. Drives: Nova Sport, BMW M3, Nova Swing, Peugeot 208
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 12ST block is a lot shorter. Are you changing the stroke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The stroke on the 1200 is around 63.4 i believe ? so that wont work for what i want either - its looking more and more like the 1400 block route then....