Thread: 8v hydraulic lifters

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 8v hydraulic lifters

I currently have my e16se in bits because its been smoking on overrun the last few meetings.I did a compression test and cylinder 4 was down a little.Ive found that cylinder to be burning oil,valve stem/seal or guide being the likely culprit,however I wont know til I take it into work to measure.I did fill the chambers with petrol and no 4 drained in 6 minutes with petrol running out of the exhaust port and weeping out of inlet too, whereas the rest stayed the same level.
    Upon stripping down I found no 4's exhaust lifter to have this part broken off....The broken bit is on the end of my finger.This lifter could also be compressed easily by hand.

So my questions,Is this lifter repairable? why has it happened? if not,which lifters are best to buy?
    I need this sorting asap as im racing again next sunday!
    Any help or advice is always appreciated.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ring Chris Allitt at Allitt Motorsport. I'd probably put in a new set. The bit that pops out should be a rod, the bit you have on your finger doesn't look like that...

you our can lift the clip off a new clean them up. The ball the makes the seal could be scratched and make the lifter not work properly.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That bit on my finger is the end of that rod.its come off the top of it.yeah im gonna ring them tomorrow and order a set.has this lifter jacked? As i think its jacked then the valve been wobbling about and worn the guide or stem and thus resulted in burning oil?
    Does this sound summat like?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt it. It would have been running like crap if it was jacked as bad as that. There should be evidence around the seat if it has

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Strange how only one chamber was burning oil though?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really its either rings, stems or theres something mental with your breather arrangement on the intake. If the lifter was jacket it would probably be clipping the pistons anyway.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rings were done last year,why would only one pot wear quicker if that were to be the case??
    Il mic the stems and dti the valve guide clearance by moving the valve in the guide tomorrow.
    mental breather arrangement? In what way would that cause pot 4 to burn oil?
    Thanks for all the help

Club Member Club Member Royston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Andy, I haven't been able to identify the hydraulic follower brand I have just fitted, I can ask my engine machine shop if you it helps
    Regards

Royston

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think iv found a reliable source but if you didnt mind its always a backup/seconded opinion if theyre the same.thanks.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    mental breather arrangement? In what way would that cause pot 4 to burn oil?
    I dont know what your arrangement is obviously, but ive seen some people tap the crank breather into one runner which would obviously cause 1 cylinder to burn more oil than another. A ring could still be a miss. Fitted upside down, gaps not 120deg apart, poor hone bed in procedure etc....