Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pauls Astra Mk2 rallying adventures...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Pauls Astra Mk2 rallying adventures...

I know its not a Nova, but I did start out rallying in a Nova and thought you guys might be interested..?

Have had various build diaries open at Astra Mk2 and MIGweb for the various cars Ive built cars over time, but thought it would be a good idea to amalgamate them into one as they get changed and developed and keep a thread up to date here.

The story so far....

2011 - Built a Mk2 Astra to take to Rally Barbados and have competed with it since. Fitted with a 1400 8v engine affectionately known as Old Faithful, its had various upgrades and changes over the past few years but is essentially still the same car we built and is next in line for some love...

Full build thread is on MIG at http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/proje...-2011-now.html for anyone that wants to catch up with the full build..

In late 2012 I bought a cheap rallycar from Ebay, then promptly rolled it on the first event I did in it. That was very quickly and roughly reshelled in early 2014 into a tired stage rally shell to make a road rally car to allow me to do night events.

After doing that project, I started on the most ambitious one to date - the Tarmac Astra build.. I was offered an unused shell that I just had to buy, had collected a redtop, SBD engine kit, Quaife box and Proflex along the way and we built that from mid 2014 to April 2015 into an awesome car for Rally Barbados 2015..

Full build thread for the new car is on MIG at http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/proje...car-build.html

So thats where we start from... A roadrally Astra GTE, a stage rally Astra 1.4 8v and a stage rally 2.0 redtop..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F20GTE - the Tarmac build, has just arrived back into Portsmouth from its voyage from Barbados and will be collected at the end of the week but we decided to do an event - The Flying Fortress Stages - which my club organises next weekend so brought the 1400 car - F2GTE out of the garage and gave it some love.

Sumpguard off, suspension off, brake pad cleanup, oil change..

Then changed springs from 8" 275lb on the front to 9" 250lb to soften the car a little.

Refitted to the car and reassembled all the suspension, slackened off the ARB and give full spanner check along the way.

Then changed the rear springs from the Eibach tarmac ones to gravel springs more ride height and lower poundage and softened up the back end dampers

Which means she is nearly ready for next weekend.. Just fuel, brakes to bed in and a couple of small things to finish on Friday.

As the weather was decent, I started a job I havent had time to do.. I bought a redtop Calibra SE2 last year and hadnt had time to get it stripped so started on that.

Started with this "beauty"..

Complete front end subframe removal...

So I now have this stored..

Not a bad weekends work really.. The plan is to fully rebuild this engine for the roadrally car - not sure whether to go dizzy or keep DIS though. The car has to keep its standard inlet tract but otherwise engine is free but you cant do too much to them on std inlets.

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Busy end of week and weekend for us..

Wednesday evening I picked up another Mk2 Astra shell. This is going to be a parts donor for some bits I wanted.

The early start on Thursday down to Portsmouth to collect the tarmac car from the port after its Rally Barbados trip.

Then emptied that on Friday and put all the spares etc into the truck and loaded the 1400cc car to go down to the Flying Fortress stages

Then helped set up the venue on Saturday in glorious sunshine and then it pissed down overnight so was a damp start to the rally on Sunday

We started very well and took fastest class time on stage 1, encountered various issues but mainly a bad oil leak but kept the lead all morning. Incurred a 30 second penalty for hitting a chicane on stage 3 so were joint class leaders going into the afternoon.

In the afternoon, the weather improved and the rally just got better and better for us although an engine fire due to the oil leak on stage 5 was a little frightening but didnt damage anything luckily. We swapped onto well used Dunlop tarmac tyres for the afternoon and managed to eek 3 stages out of these before they were too worn.. Think its fair to say Ive had my moneys worth..

We finished 22nd overall (from 58 starters), 1st in class by 30 seconds and even beat all the 1600cc cars - not bad for a 1400 8v on carbs and dizzy! This was the engines last event as its having a 1600cc 16v motor built for next season to see how well we can do.

Nice little class winners glass award to go on top of the cabinet :-)

Paul..

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done Paul, good effort and i'm sure i have seen you out previously on a few events, i'm a member of Ilkley and District and often get out marshalling.

Love the wheels on F20GTE, don't have a spare set you'd be willing to part with do you? do a swop for some Compomotive MO's?
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry the wheels arent for sale. My favourites (on F20 coming back from Barbados) are Compomotive TH2s in 15x6. I think they really suit the car. The others are Compomotive TH in 15 x 6 as Im sure you know.

I had a hell of trouble finding any Th2s in 15" ET49 and paid over the odds for them really, but although theyre a pain to clean due to the spoke design, they remind me of the wheels used on the Bastos Astra 4S and think they suit the car. If I could find any more then Id snap them up.

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had another good weekend of tinkering... including much needed help from Harvey.

Started on the tarmac rallycar to get the various bits repaired so its drivable / moveable again.

Stripped the driveshafts and diff from the car and replaced the oil seals before fitting a standard diff to get it moveable.

Then rebuilt the driveshafts with new inner CVs..

Did an oil change and removed the ARB as it has pulled the threads out of the bulkhead on the passenger side so no easy fix for that.

I also fitted a different gearstick. I had noticed that the Astra H m20/m32 stick / unit was physically shorter so ordered one of those and fitted that. Vectra C is shown on bottom and Astra H is on top. This helps shorten the front / back throw a little - around 15mm.

Also started making an F17 short shift kit for the gearbox end. The idea is to shorten the distance between the pivot point and the cable pivot. The issue is leaving enough clearance for the cable end against the body of the selector unit. Started by straightening the arm.

Will take a photo of the finished item when finished but I think it will reduce the throw to approx 100mm in total.

We also stripped the rest of the parts from the Calibra and took it to the scrappers. Shame really as solid shell but no-one was interested in buying it and I dont have the space to keep it indefinately.

Paul..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nooooo the spoiler got scrapped? What's the plan with the diff then

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a huge amount to report recently...

Went to Billing for the weekend with both rallycars - F20GTE to the right of the Astra Mk2 stand and F2GTE - the 1400cc car still dirty from its last event further to the left.

Then stripped a rotten 16v shell for parts. Pembo needed various bits which happened to be decent so out came the angle grinder

Then stripped the Proflex from the rallycar and swapped for std uprights to keep the shell movable

These can now go back to proflex for checking as the seals are leaking.

Also washed the dirty 1400cc car so its nicer to strip down. This car will be getting most of the attention over the next 12 months.

However the tarmac car needs finishing first ready for MSA logbooking and its next event which will be Donington in October.

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update..

Proflex sent off for rebuild.

Black Rallycar given some love. Fitted and bonded in rear window seals and opening rear windows again and started door / wing repairs after a little accident meant that the door wouldnt open and close. Not perfect but will be good enough start and will be fine after some more filler, sanding and paint.

Also added another one to the collection...

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought a shiny new multi-battery charger and a pair of new 4ah batteries for my power tools as the 2.4ah ones have been hammered for the past few years and wallmounted it.

Then finally got back to working on the 2.0litre car. Have to get the modifications I want done to test the car at the Astra Mk2 trackday in October.

The main one is solving the gear cable issues I had in Barbados. However I also have an issue with the gear lever to seat position which means 2nd gear is really uncomfortable to go into.

To resolve both of these needs a multi pronged approach but started like this:

Bought a new M20 / M32 gear lever change unit - nice and new means no slop in that unit.

Cut off the plastic ends of the gear lever cables and welded on some small rod ends - to give a solid unit that wont pop off the shifter as happened in Barbados

Cut, shortened and rewelded the swivel arm on the cable shifter to shorten the forward and back throw of the gear lever

Removed the side to side pivot and drilled out the ball

The old and the new throw pivot arms. The new one is approx 10mm shorter. Ive also welded a bolt in place of the old ball.

Trial fitted the cable rod ends onto the pivots using some misalignment spacers.

Fitted to the car

This has now reduced the front to back throw to approx 100mm total and means I can move the gearstick unit forwards towards the dashboard hugely helping with the spacing issue.

The next steps are going to be to rerun the cables, move the drivers seat a little sideways towards the centre of the car and reposition / remake the mounting bracket for the hydraulic handbrake and the gear lever to alleviate the issue as much as possible.