Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Pauls Astra Mk2 rallying adventures...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Great result especially with the 2nd gear issues. Any light as to what caused it?
    We are the first people using the cable shift selector with a dog box AFAIK.. I suspect the "head" of the selector unit isnt quite as big as the proper quaife bronze finger one so it is jamming in the selectors sometimes when Im trying to force a shift under heavy braking etc.. I have the Quaife gear stick and rods which might be the answer but if I can get the cables right then Id prefer to stick to those..

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some incar from last weekend... Sorry for the quality. Usual Gopro blew its power supply on the Friday before the event so old backup camera in play and misted up / scratched lens..

SS1 - Not the quickest on this stage as feeling out the grip levels but big slide at 3:05!

https://youtu.be/oFpF5fm7J3A

SS3 - Quickest in class on this one.. Caught up with and passed the Corsa also in our class.

https://youtu.be/-ikLy0aJx_4

SS8 - Changed direction. Fairly quick run round.

https://youtu.be/mCZZ7sr695g

SS10 - Last stage so wasnt pushing as hard as wanted a finish. Track starting to dry out a little but a few slides as I caught the Fabia..

https://youtu.be/QQZsMdyd2ew

Paul..

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice update Paul, a great result at Blyton considering the gearbox problem. I think the conditions on the day ensured only the bravest/most skilful drivers could come away with a decent result.
    I was at a freezing Goodwood that weekend, we endured sleet and snow during the morning, though it didn't really affect the track too much as it was slick enough already!!! The most impressive crew for me were the Newton brothers (they have a thread on here) who were laying in second overall (in a 1400 Nova remember) before, errr guess what, the gearbox gave up the unequal struggle. Darn these drive train gremlins....

Looking forward to the next update
    I love a good build thread, so heaven knows why I'm here...

My C20XE Rally Car Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Nice update Paul, a great result at Blyton considering the gearbox problem. I think the conditions on the day ensured only the bravest/most skilful drivers could come away with a decent result.
    I was at a freezing Goodwood that weekend, we endured sleet and snow during the morning, though it didn't really affect the track too much as it was slick enough already!!! The most impressive crew for me were the Newton brothers (they have a thread on here) who were laying in second overall (in a 1400 Nova remember) before, errr guess what, the gearbox gave up the unequal struggle. Darn these drive train gremlins....

The Newtons are extremely quick.. doing some fantastic giant killing.

Next update will be on the 2000cc car as Im out in that on 5th March but the engine isnt rebuilt yet..

Paul..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post

Thanks for both for your kind comments. We snapped a tooth from second gear.

All the chicanes were second gear, as we couldn't find the tooth, we decided to put it on the trailer rather than risk the SCCR gear kit.

We will be back.

YouTube videos here:-

SS2:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-rzQcaHlY

SS6:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUe5gqZOOPs

Christopher Newton
    Vauxhall Nova 1400 16v

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

March Update..

After Blyton I got sent this shot of our stage 1 sideways moment..

The week after I got the car up on stands and spent a while jetwashing it...

Our next event was supposed to be Donington Park on March 5th in the 2000cc car as a shakedown for Rally Barbados in May. However, we had discovered an issue with the crank and sent it off for machining which took longer than expected so at that point, the bottom end looked like this so we decided to do it in the 1600cc car instead..

So the 1600cc car was oil changed, reprepped and we scrutineered fine in bright sunny weather.

On Sunday morning, the heavens opened and we rallied in pouring rain, then drizzle later on.. Hadnt managed to spend any time looking at the issue with the gear selector so got stuck in gear on stage 2 and stage 4 dropping us time and to 3rd in class at halfway. Then gained some time back in the afternoon and went into the last stage 17 seconds behind 2nd in class.. A combination of variable grip levels, me trying very hard and a heavy right foot resulted in this snapped shaft...

As we ran a tight diff, we drove out of the stage slowly and still finished 3rd in class.. so car went on trailer dirty again.

Then gave her a good clean again this weekend...

and swapped out the driveshaft... Proper failure...

Meanwhile, we have been cracking on with the 2000cc engine. The head had new bronze valve guides fitted..

The crank came back and was fitted..

Valves lapped back in, head fitted and shimmed the cam

Then refitted bodies and ancilliaries and wrapped up ready to be refitted in the car

That should be done one night this week I hope..

Paul..

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long overdue update..

End of March we refitted the engine into F20GTE..

and fitted new trumpets too

Then set the car up for its trip to Barbados with softer springs and ride height and a little more castor from the new bottom arm brackets we fabricated and ended up with nice even numbers..

Then went and did a few laps around Cadwell as a test session.

Video on Youtube at

Then switched attention back to the 1600cc car - F2 GTE.

Fitted a quaife direct linkage to try to alleviate the stuck in gear issues we have had

Went to do a rally at Melbourne near York and diff exploded on startline meaning car on trailer..

and lots of damaged bits..

More to come in the next installment

Paul..

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really good read

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUCH!!!!
    Looking on the bright side, at least you didn't have any problems with the gearbox sticking in gear....

Maybe the previous events "variable grip levels" had more of an impact than just a brocken drive shaft?

Cheers
    Sherlock....
    I love a good build thread, so heaven knows why I'm here...

My C20XE Rally Car Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So at the beginning of April after our successful 2000cc car test and the event where the 1600cc car broke, we needed to get the 2000cc car finally ready for its trip to Barbados.

Usual spanner check was done, aircon reinstated for the trip to the Caribbean and then we built a "luggage rack" to hold all the kit and wheels.

Started with lots of box section and had a little "Dad" help with the welding.

The sides slot into the sill stand holes then the top bolts to that and the rear tyre rack bolts on too.

Got it all powdercoated and fitted to the car prior to the trip to Portsmouth

then loaded up at the port

and then loaded it on the boat..

Arrived in Barbados 10 days later.

Then switched back attention to the 1600cc car. Cluster removed and inspected...

Seems that the bits of the diff got between the crownwheel and pinion. So full stripdown on that. Then bought a rebuilt diff to use.

and was offered a 2nd hand but usable dog box CWP so that was fitted and the box built back up

However, had an issue with the bearing race as the new bearing was slightly bigger than the old bearing so out came the casing too

Was all then built back up into a full box, then late Friday night we got the box fitted to the car and it was ready for testing..

Went to Blyton for a Javelin trackday. Car is set up for its next airfield event and is running lots of ride height due to the spring lengths but gearbox was good, gear shift is mega now, car felt good (albeit very very soft) so we were all happy..

until I got home, and realised one of the Proflex canister pipes had split so off came the rear suspension and sent to Proflex to be sorted..

Paul..