Thread: Nova, c16xe misfire.. Help.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Nova, c16xe misfire.. Help.

Hi everyone need some help with my nova..
    started with loss of power low down in revs so I thought misfire, checked everything I thought it could be and changed it all and still same problem. It's getting fuel air spark but still just doesn't like it.. You could actually take off the lead from cylinder 2 and it wouldn't affect it at all.. But all was fine high up in the revs over 4k, but just didn't pull as it should.
    I couldn't find the problem so had to keep driving it, now after another few days it's gotten really bad popping banging and everything and seems to be running on 3 all the time now.
    When I Rev it up from under the bonnet, the induction noise seems to be so much louder than it used to be, don't understand why that would get louder?

Anyway a if anyone knows what's wrong please let me know.. I've had the engine in there for over 5 years now and never had a problem like this before.. It has been ragged everyday of its life though! Haha! But it's always loved it!

Any info would be good!
    Thanks.
    Craig.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a compression test. Sounds like the engine is rooted.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As well as doing the above:

Have you another HT lead to try, also check your plugs incase the plug on number 2 has a crack or disintigrated.

Also check your timing hasn't slipped and check the cambelt hasn't gone slack.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.. I have tried different coil pack and leads already and also new spark plugs, it didn't make a difference.. No faults have come up but I started having a play with some sensors, unplugging / plugging back in.. The cam sensor when I unplugged it, it changed nothing so I thought possibly could be that but I replaced it with another used one I had but still made no difference ( new one could be knackered aswell though). And yeah the compression test was my next move, also checking the timing. Any other ideas would be helpful.. Will update if I find out anything. But I may not be able to do anything until tomorrow. Cheers for replies .

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you have lost one cylinder, changing components which are common to the other 3 will not make a blind bit of difference.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was expecting it to be something as simple as that though, like coil pack spark plug or a lead..that's why I changed them. But never helped at all.. I really don't think the engines knackered, I think more of a timing problem. That's what I hope anyway. If that's the case.. Is it possible the bottom pulley has moved? You know the problem with the thing that locates the pulley (sorry I forgot what it's called!).

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You seem to know a lot more about this than me. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are urinating into a hurricane throwing parts at it and guessing.
    you need to do a compression test before you start anything.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I've not spent any money on it yet.. The parts I changed were spares. But yes I will be doing compression test either later tonight or tomorrow.
    And merit.. Doesn't matter how much you know, all the help is appreciated .
    But yeah any other ideas would be great! But definitely compression test will be done by tomorrow. Any ideas what it should be ? I know it'll be different as it's an old engine but a rough idea.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its not so much what it is but the difference between them