Thread: Does anyone have expereince of the 2.7d s-type Jag

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does anyone have expereince of the 2.7d s-type Jag

Does anyone have any experience of these? My mate has one and we have done brakes etc but it has a slow water leak. I have traced it to the passenger side of the engine, just below the powersteering reservoir. It looks like some sort of thermostat housing or something that comes out the block but due to all the pipework etc it is very difficult to see.

If anyone has any knowledge it would be greatly appreciated as I am not pulling all the pipes etc off unless I have the correct part etc.

Apologies it is not a Nova problem but it has been a nice few weeks for the Mk2 Nova (worried incase I have spoken too soon.....)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask Nobby? He knows them well. I actually own one but I couldn't tell you what it is you are referring too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just a plastic housing with an o ring, I have seen them leak there before but not common , try a new o ring first but is a bitch to get at ,good luck

If it ay bost dow fix it! Club Member Nobby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said above theres a plastic fitting into the block with a O ring on thats leaks not a fun job though I'm afraid. I would change the housing not just the o ring incase it has warped.
    " If you aint breaking you aint racing! "

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, can I just check it is the thermostat housing, here are two pictures where I have tried to get a glimpse of it. There is a water pipe but I reckon it's this metal thing above it.

I have to say (I never thought I'd say this about any diesel), it is remarkably refined to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The black metal pipe is a coolant pipe that runs round the back of the heads its posable that it chaffed on another pipe or there is a bracket welded to it and the weld is maybe cracked,put a preasure tester on it and some leak tracing powder,regarding the thermostat , that's located at the bottom left to the rad hope the helps

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for that, the black pipe is where the water is dripping down but I think it is actually coming from the thick thing coming from the side of the block in the first pic, I reckon it is then just touching the coolant pipe where it runs down as you said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not good to see

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know, that was about the 20th picture, it was a nightmare to see in real life, you can't see it from the top at all, and under where this picture is taken from, there are power steering pipes , coolant pipes and so on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used to be a jag master tech so understand the problem and the difficulty of getting to it