Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilwood Midilite Brake Set Up

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, my kit is a fully propper assemable unit the 2mm i was refearing to was between the wheel and the hub all other brackets should be AT
    lEAST 10MM

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turbo-boy View Post
    , my kit is a fully propper assemable unit the 2mm i was refearing to was between the wheel and the hub all other brackets should be AT
    lEAST 10MM
    Ah yes, I thought so . As you can probably tell, I'm having quite a time getting my head around what brakes are going to fit and how without altering (or at least minimising what increase there is in) the track width. From looking at your build thread, it looks as though you've managed to maintain the original track-width, even with 305mm discs. Are they 305x25mm?

What is the width of your bells, then? 8 or 10mm? This is where I'm trying to get as exact measurements as possible to know what I can fit to mine. Might even mean I can get away with the AP brake kit that the gentleman at BG Developments suggested.

yorkshire: Drives. A3 Sline,Octavia VRS & J20LTB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last nova had a wilwood midi lite kit using two piece 300mm+ rotors/bells and sat behind allesios without any spacers. It was achieved by using high offset bells and having them machined down. Longer posts were needed also between the calliper and brackets from memory. Wilwoods are a huge cost saving compared with Alcon looking at Hockley or similar but unsure on fitment behind allesios. They do kits that go under 14/15" rims but allesios are very tight on clearance in comparison etc

On on another note reviewing your thread I noticed a small issue.... The rad tech kit will require your front panels trimming at both sides and the lower lip. This will allow it to sit correctly in position. If it's not as far forward as it should be your turbo may have clearance issues with the radiator. Look up Keith Robinsons nova turbo build for details.

Nick.
    Last edited by Nick J; 17-05-15 at 07:51 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick J View Post
    My last nova had a wilwood midi lite kit using two piece 300mm+ rotors/bells and sat behind allesios without any spacers. It was achieved by using high offset bells and having them machined down. Longer posts were needed also between the calliper and brackets from memory. Wilwoods are a huge cost saving compared with Alcon looking at Hockley or similar but unsure on fitment behind allesios. They do kits that go under 14/15" rims but allesios are very tight on clearance in comparison etc

On on another note reviewing your thread I noticed a small issue.... The rad tech kit will require your front panels trimming at both sides and the lower lip. This will allow it to sit correctly in position. If it's not as far forward as it should be your turbo may have clearance issues with the radiator. Look up Keith Robinsons nova turbo build for details.

Nick.
    Thanks Nick, that all makes sense, though would need to know what size of bell that was used and how many degrees were lathed/machined off to accommodate the ET 49 offset wheels? I hate to sound stupid, but what are the posts? And how easily is it to obtain these; do they need to be bought and altered, and, if so, what size and by how much? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I really have no experience with fitting these sorts of kits and want to get it right.

The AP kits from Hockely's do look like they would cause issues, as have had measurements sent from CG Developments who are suppliers of AP and the gentleman has emailed me quite a few of the different calipers and they work out a good 8-9mm thicker than the likes of the Wilwood midi-lite caliper. There was one AP caliper he recommended but there was still 6mm difference in it, which is substantial when you take into account the overall difference in width in terms of what that adds to the track width.

As for modifying the lower cross-member to allow more clearance of the rad from the turbo, having looked at Keith's thread there the now he looks like he has fitted his rad set-up in much the same place as mine gauging from where the captive nuts are located from underneath the cross-member. If mine isn't as far forward as his, then it is only by a matter of mm's. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think I could have put the rad any further forward without having to alter the headlights and grill - the way I have fitted mine is as tight forward as I could get it.
    Last edited by HouseAtreides; 17-05-15 at 08:45 PM.

yorkshire: Drives. A3 Sline,Octavia VRS & J20LTB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HouseAtreides View Post
    Thanks Nick, that all makes sense, though would need to know what size of bell that was used and how many degrees were lathed/machined off to accommodate the ET 49 offset wheels? I hate to sound stupid, but what are the posts? And how easily is it to obtain these; do they need to be bought and altered, and, if so, what size and by how much? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I really have no experience with fitting these sorts of kits and want to get it right.

The AP kits from Hockely's do look like they would cause issues, as have had measurements sent from CG Developments who are suppliers of AP and the gentleman has emailed me quite a few of the different calipers and they work out a good 8-9mm thicker than the likes of the Wilwood midi-lite caliper. There was one AP caliper he recommended but there was still 6mm difference in it, which is substantial when you take into account the overall difference in width in terms of what that adds to the track width.

As for modifying the lower cross-member to allow more clearance of the rad from the turbo, having looked at Keith's thread there the now he looks like he has fitted his rad set-up in much the same place as mine gauging from where the captive nuts are located from underneath the cross-member. If mine isn't as far forward as his, then it is only by a matter of mm's. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, I don't think I could have put the rad any further forward without having to alter the headlights and grill - the way I have fitted mine is as tight forward as I could get it.

Im afraid that's as much as I know regarding the brakes... Another guy had the work done and I bought the kit second hand when he had finished with it. The posts are the circular sections that sit between caliper and mounting bracket. Pretty sure they came from rally design with the flexi hoses that were bought to suit the kit. I may have a copy of the receipts/part numbers somewhere as the originals went with the car/kit when I sold it. Regarding the intercooler.... All 3 cars that run the radtech kit have had to shave a good few mm from the inside of the grill slats so I'd say you still need to edge it forward a little. Like any nova with a clet the radiator is close to the turbo. But you'll see more when your engine goes in and can go from their.

Nick.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick J View Post
    Im afraid that's as much as I know regarding the brakes... Another guy had the work done and I bought the kit second hand when he had finished with it. The posts are the circular sections that sit between caliper and mounting bracket. Pretty sure they came from rally design with the flexi hoses that were bought to suit the kit. I may have a copy of the receipts/part numbers somewhere as the originals went with the car/kit when I sold it. Regarding the intercooler.... All 3 cars that run the radtech kit have had to shave a good few mm from the inside of the grill slats so I'd say you still need to edge it forward a little. Like any nova with a clet the radiator is close to the turbo. But you'll see more when your engine goes in and can go from their.

Nick.
    As always, nothing is ever straightforward in this life . If you can find those receipts and have the part No.'s on them, then I would be grateful if you could PM them whenever you get a moment. Otherwise, you're help and advice has been greatly appreciated - I'm a lot clearer than I was this morning, which is something.

I had a feeling that rad kit might come back and bite me in the bum - despite it being custom made to fit - without at least some necessary modifications being needed. Once I drop the engine in, which I'll be doing over the summer, I'll have a better idea of how much space I'm left with. I'm going to use heat wrap where I can on the manifold etc., in order to reduce the amount of heat on components and wiring.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The posts Nick talks of are just spacers to push the caliper out from the bracket. Thicker ones means you can run wider discs. Whic is something i've looked at.

You can see them here....

All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Engineered Perfection Club Member GDN16v's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive had 2 brake kits from Rally Design, the 310mm midilite kit and the 280mm midilite kit. My nova currently runs the 280mm kit and they fit under my Vauxhall 15 inch Cesaro alloys no problem with room to spare.
    I previously had the 310mm kit on (seperate bells and rotors) and it needed a 5mm wheel spacer for the Speedline alloy to clear the caliper.

I can get hold of a Speedline alloy to try on my car with the Wilwood 280mm kit fitted if you want?
    Last edited by GDN16v; 19-05-15 at 02:25 PM.
    1.6 16v's are the way forward!

Difficult takes a day - impossible takes a week!

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alcon 295mm x 25mm brake set up from Hocklys, no addition of track width, fits with Comp MO5's and Speedline Corse wheels with ease, stops on a dime and with a bias pedal box from Compbrake performance is amazing
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    The posts Nick talks of are just spacers to push the caliper out from the bracket. Thicker ones means you can run wider discs. Whic is something i've looked at.

You can see them here....

These spacers will mean you can run a bigger offset disc, not a wider disc, you would have to put spacers in the caliper to achieve that.
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.