User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wilwood Midilite Brake Set Up

Hello,

Looking to know if anyone has bought the Wilwood 280mm brake kit with Midilite 4-pot Calipers and ran them on 16" Speedlines without the issue of altering the car's aesthetics (i.e., not had any front wing-clearance issues in terms of the spacers used in this kit)?

My reasons for asking is that I really want(ed) an AP Racing brake kit with separate rotas and bells (for looks as well as stopping power - though the latter is the lesser of the two reasons really despite its importance), which is, for all intents and purposes, currently under discussion with a company who are willing to supply them for my Nova but awaiting exact fitment dimensions.

Notwithstanding, I have done a bit of searching online and discovered a few issues with opting for big brake kits, particularly AP and Brembo due to the width of the calipers and their effects on looks (i.e., wider front wheel base than as original, which I don't like and wouldn't want), and therefore the driveability in terms of front-wing clearance when lowered (which mine most certainly will be - thought not ridiculously, just stylistically; but, again, not willing to compromise on looks over stopping power despite the fact that part of the reason I want a fancy brake kit is also looks).

Thus, really all I want to know for certain is, is the above mentioned kit likely to fit under my rims without altering the look of the car and without causing wing-clearance issues (within the context that with these wheels and lowering the car it is tight enough already)? If I were to go for this kit I would opt for x-drilled discs for a bit of added pzazz, as they look a tad dull as plain

P.S. see link for exact brake kit: http://www.motorsport-tools.com/wilw...ers-280mm.html

Cheers,
    Tony

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No - you'll need spacers. I did with my midilites....

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will F View Post
    No - you'll need spacers. I did with my midilites....
    Cheers Will. Do you know what sort of size in spacer I need?

Senior User
    Manchester Drives: 911 Carrera 2, MR2 Roadster turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fitted Midilites without spacers under Speedlines on my old Nova. Were very close though.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    I fitted Midilites without spacers under Speedlines on my old Nova. Were very close though.
    Thanks for the response, though there seems to be some conflicting views.

Have actually just come off the phone to a gentleman at Hi-Spec and he's going to do the drawings for a bespoke brake kit to fit my requirements, so will see what he comes back with. On two-piece big brake conversions, it seems to be the bell width that is the problem. The gentleman I spoke to is going to see if he can make a set of bells that are 6mm in width as opposed to the 8-10mm that most manufacturers of competition brakes use, thereby creating a brake kit that is only 1-2mm away from what it should be as standard.

Senior User
    Manchester Drives: 911 Carrera 2, MR2 Roadster turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the Dynalites don't fit though as a mate ran them. PM rob89 on here and see if he has any pictures as he owns the car now. I can't find a picture at the moment.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    I know the Dynalites don't fit though as a mate ran them. PM rob89 on here and see if he has any pictures as he owns the car now. I can't find a picture at the moment.
    Nice one Lee, will do mate cheers.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant you mod the brackets to sit the caliper father back, and then use a disc with more offset?

That's what i did to run my Wilwoods under my turbo rims.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Cant you mod the brackets to sit the caliper father back, and then use a disc with more offset?

That's what i did to run my Wilwoods under my turbo rims.
    I really wouldn't know Benn - never done this big a disc conversion before, so don't have any experience to know what I could get away with in terms of modifications to the brackets.

Think the problem might be solved by Hi-Spec if they can make me a bespoke brake kit - just waiting to hear back from them to see if they can machine a set of smaller bells (6mm in width as opposed to 8-10mm).
    Last edited by HouseAtreides; 14-05-15 at 10:51 PM.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lowspec