Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1.2 8v running fault

hi, ive got a major issue with my 5dr 1.2 carb mk1 vauxhall nova
    fitted with a peiburg 1b1 and a twin pole distributor

came running with a new cambelt. i rebuilt the carb and now it wont run. it fires. not smoothly and then backfires agrresively throught the carb. im an apprentice technichian so ive checked and replaced most bits. ive replaced HT leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and coil. the firing order is correct i think its one of two posibilitys. the advance and retard in the dizzy has gone slack and is throwing the timing out. or ive bought a crap pair of plugs. bosch super spark multi tipped ones

other things to consider. the carb isnt adjusted correctly now ive rebuilt it so thats not helping. could the valve timing have slipped? could it be the ignition module?

any and every bit of help would be much appreciated as im currently losing the will to live over it. just kidding, but its getting on my nerves. cheers in advance peeps :D

Club Member Club Member Royston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would check that the plug leads are definitely correctly fitted order wise, then I would check the carb, as it was OK before you rebuilt it.

Did you change the other items before the issue or after to fix it?

Advance and retard wouldn't stop it firing, easy check, suck on the pipe, can you pull a vacuum, if not diaphragm has split

Are any of the items non genuine? (thinking rotor arm/distributor cap) spurious items can be poor quality,
    Last edited by Royston; 26-04-15 at 06:44 AM.
    Regards

Royston

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Royston View Post
    I would check that the plug leads are definitely correctly fitted order wise, then I would check the carb, as it was OK before you rebuilt it.

Did you change the other items before the issue or after to fix it?

Advance and retard wouldn't stop it firing, easy check, suck on the pipe, can you pull a vacuum, if not diaphragm has split

Are any of the items non genuine? (thinking rotor arm/distributor cap) spurious items can be poor quality,
    when i removed the rotor arm the advance and retard plate fell to peices. i reasembled it and as far as it know its correct according to my haynes manual. i'll check the carb and i'll check the diaphragm. thanks for your reply!