Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine dilenma

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Stuart, I'm running a DTA ECU, I've got a deal with the guys at T&R, cheap as chips mapping sessions as they like the car for some strange reason, Jim thinks it's hilarious!!
    I tried to map it myself on the standard engine and got the fueling pretty good but it's hard to know where to start changing over with the from lambda 14.5 to 13.5 in the map, it's also hard to listen for det when driving along on the road!! Holding it at set revs to adjust stuff is hard work too!! Not to mention making sure the det dip is in the correct place!! Plus I'm not sure if you've seen the DTA system but it's not the greatest mapping system ever!!!

The block, crank, rods, head and valves are all off to Modus to be measured and checked, the head will be CC'd and matched, the Pistons CC'd and matched and machined for the right CR. we've decided we don't like 12.5:1 so Jay's gonna research it and we'll make a decision, I'd prefer 12:1 I think, T&R advised 12:1 as a max so we'll probably end up near there, I'll email Newman (my cam manufacturer) and see what they say is the best CR for my cams!!

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dta isn't great but its waaaaay better than sleazymap for mbe
    if you have a good price with the steves then stick with them

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T&R are meant to b very good from all i've read... Get the lump bit and in there!
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    T&R are meant to b very good from all i've read... Get the lump bit and in there!
    T&R are exceptional mate, no bullscheise just tuning!! Although Steve is a grumpy bugger!! The things they were adjusting were things I'd never even look at let alone adjust but they made a huge difference!!

ive never seen the MBE stuff, my brother has a 1.8t corrado I'm building an engine for that's running Emerald, he likes it but again I've heard odd things about it!!

I was looking at using the standard ECU with Matt from United Motorsports re-writing it (he works with The Phirm using standard VAG ECU's for all their tuned stuff) but we couldn't get a TPS input on the standard vaux ECU and i can't run a MAF sensor cos of the throttle bodies.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HELP NEEDED!!!!!!

So I began to get everything together today to get down to Jay, figured I'd build the head as I have all the parts for this and want to get them assembled so I know they're there before Jay checks it all.

Went to get the valves in, oiled up, platform in..................

Not sure if you can see but the platform doesn't sit down onto the alloy of the head. the hole in the platform is no where big enough to drop over the guide and sit down properly.

As you can see it's not down properly, now I've done a bit of research and should I have these on the right?!?!?

A picture of the guides to highlight the problem.

Now, it would be no surprise if these were supplied to me wrong!! Anyone shed some light?!?!?
    Last edited by House; 14-04-15 at 07:38 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id ring norman price again mate

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Id ring norman price again mate
    I've Pm'd steveboyslim the guy that does all the head work for him and I'm hoping he can help.

After researching it seems I have GM platforms but I need Coscast ones!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles bud. I know reliable and decent engine builders are hard to come by. I know you said you do not trust anyone to build touch your engine and I don't blame you. But I can recommend my old work based in essex (where I was a design engineer) if you need any help/machining/building etc, they also design and develop their own forged internals in house but obviously your already sorted on that front. I'm not normally one to recommend companies (especially one I don't work for anymore ) but he has decades of experience and knows his stuff. I will pm on his details only if you wanted them .

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Connor mate, I've had a fair share of issues!!

I really appreciate the recommend, fortunately I've got a local to me engine builder that I've used in the past, the only reason I didn't use them to build it in the first place was cos they had a 6 month waiting list!! Luckily they're a little quieter now so I've managed to get squeezed in!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough, sounds like your getting sorted. Hope you get it sorted soon bud, alot of top fulltime engine builders I know have a hefty waiting time .