User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Trouble selecting gears, whining noise in first

Hi all,

Having a few gearbox issues with my F13. Sometimes it is very difficult to get it out of reverse and when it happens I then can't get 1st or 2nd. After some faff and a bit of force I can usually get 1st eventually but then it makes an unpleasant sort of whining grindy noise when pulling off which disappears when changing into second. It can then be fine for a while and then randomly happen again.
    I have removed the 'box and taken the cluster out and can't really see anything unusual although I don't really know a vast amount about the inner workings of a gearbox. I'm pretty sure the linkage is not to blame as I can select gears fine when the problem isn't occurring.
    The output shaft seems to have some play in it with the cluster removed, is this normal?
    Any ideas on what might cause these issues?

Thanks

Nick

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the price of an f13, just get a new box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recheck your linkage , make sure you put enough ep 80-90 gear oil in. And check your driveshafts and wheel bearings. The diff bearings might need tightening. Get a light blue Haynes book. It will explain the gearbox really well

Club Member Club Member Royston's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would check all the shaft bearings as it is in bits, was the oil level OK?

what condition was the oil in?, was it dirty, an evidence of metal particles?
    Regards

Royston

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like an issue with the syncro hubs or/and bearings both of which aren't economical to replace with new parts. Although it wouldn't hurt to to check the linkage is adjusted right and there is no slop in the linkage.

If you have already had the cassette out you would be as well just throwing another one in. They're like doorstops these days.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have another 'box but this one had a semi rebuild not so long back so I would prefer to keep it if I can. Plus I'll need to swap final drives and diffs which I know isn't the biggest job but I'd like to avoid it if possible.
    The oil was slightly grubby looking but pretty clean for gearbox oil, couldn't see any metal in it. Level was good I think. It was checked a few weeks ago before a track day and plenty came out when I drained it.
    The bearings in the casing are relatively new and still seem to be fine. As said, the output shaft has a fair bit of movement, does that suggest the bearing in the end plate bit is knackered? Otherwise how do you check the bearings that end without removing shafts?
    The diff bearings were set when the diff was fitted but I will recheck. I'll check the linkage again but it is in good condition and has been modified to make shorter shifts meaning even with it set in the wrong place all gears are still available... if that makes sense.

Thanks

Nick

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took me so long to reply, meritlover got a post in in the meantime. Maybe I'll just fit the new cluster and strip the old one for some educational fun!

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stripping the cluster is easy, but you need to be methodical. Chances are the slider finders or strat tabs are not working properly due to smashing the syncro rings up... Very common due to the way the cars are abused these days.