Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Another bloomin Rally Car build/rebuild?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked into lock stops and it seems quite common in the mini world. Might be worth looking there.

Wiring in the cross member is a bold move but should work if waterproof!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Meanwhile, also ticked off the ‘to do’ list is the build-up of my Quaife quick rack kit, utilizing a combination of the ‘How To’ guide on here and the Haynes Manual, it was a pretty simple job really. I’ve not completed the re-assembly just yet as I want to make up some lock stops to limit the chances of out breaking CV joints on full lock, not too sure how far to go with the limiting element, I think I’ll try cutting the lock down from 2.6 turns to around 2, anyone got any experience in this respect?
    I didnt lock stop my Nova - I used a 6mm washer on outer CV but inside the hub to limit the amount of plunge instead.

Paul..

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked into lock stops and it seems quite common in the mini world. Might be worth looking there.
    Hi Iain, I'd already checked out your thread on this topic, so have the Mini World link stached away as a backstop.

Wiring in the cross member is a bold move but should work if waterproof!
    Don't worry its fully waterproof in there, I had to extend the wiring somewhat to fit but that is safely sealed up with heat shrink.

I didnt lock stop my Nova - I used a 6mm washer on outer CV but inside the hub to limit the amount of plunge instead.
    Thanks Paul, that is a bit of technical information I wasn't aware of, will be making more than a mental note of that one! Cheers

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RallyMarshal View Post

Paul..
    I haven't done either of those....but as no wheels turned in anger yet I don't really know if that'll be a problem or not.
    Liking the creative controls/switches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comment Andrew.

Just a small update while I sit in a Chalet in Tigne, France after a good days skiing

Sorted out my Wiper motor mount and gave it a lick of paint so it looks nice

Pity about the rest of the engine bay though

Meanwhile I grabbed a few pictures of my finished Dash Layout
    Drivers View

Close up of the switch and fuse/relay panel now resplendent in carbon wrap

Last edited by TallDave; 28-08-17 at 05:10 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the dash mate!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving the dash mate!!!
    Thanks mate, I'm quite happy with it and it really hasn't cost me much to sort it out. Its not overly pretty, especially with that big orange timer relay standing out like a sore thumb, but hey its a rally car not a show car.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Thanks mate, I'm quite happy with it and it really hasn't cost me much to sort it out. Its not overly pretty, especially with that big orange timer relay standing out like a sore thumb, but hey its a rally car not a show car.
    It's a rally car not a show car!!! It's my new motto!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a rally car not a show car!!! It's my new motto!!!
    Darn it I shold have patented it....

My blagging of other peoples good ideas continues, this time concerning the heater. Though I intend to fit a heated screen, it is usually nice to have some form of contingency plan, well that's what an acquaintance of my tells me.

I was considering an after market heater unit, which meant I'd need to route the air to the windscreen vents (I'm retaining the standard dashboard), when I happened across Iain's thread about modifying the standard Nova heater by blowing the air up through the cabin outlet. Brilliant Idea I though so it was out with the saw to trim off the unwanted elements from the heater box...

As I don't have a rusty Nova shell to hand to cut the standard heater bulkhead mount out of, it was out with the CAD

Then a bit of choppy choppy, file file and et voila

Then after a bit of folding I had this onto which I can mount the standard fan motor

The panel just needs a bit of welding and a lick of paint to finish it off. it will bolt up over the heater radiator matrix and hold it nicely in place. The heater matrix will be reversed so that the pipes will route through the cabin to plumb into the system at a place yet to be decided...

The more observant will notice that my butchering of the heater box means the outlet is limited to the centre facia vents, this situation will be resolved by some judicious modifications to the molding which connects the heater box to the dashboard, all aided by a glue gun to seal it all up.

I've also got my new fuel tank off the shelf (turns out its a GSI tank so that is a result!) and modified the fuel pick-up to delete the fuel pump, I've managed to retain the in tank fuel strainer so that is another bonus (no picture unfortunately), now I have just got to order up some fuel pumps so I can get the plumbing sorted...
    Last edited by TallDave; 28-08-17 at 05:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Another bloomin Rally Car build/rebuild/idea ripping off thread". First House's life motto and now this, when will it end.

Like it. If you can duct up to the windscreen as well as the centre vents and you're laughing. Shame you didn't see my 'shell pieces' sale thread or I could have cut you a piece out.