Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Another bloomin Rally Car build/rebuild?

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Another bloomin Rally Car build/rebuild/idea ripping off thread". First House's life motto and now this, when will it end.
    Ah I plead guilty as charged, though you omitted my blagging of 8vCraig's cut-n-shut job to move the handbrake back, trully I have no shame

Like it. If you can duct up to the windscreen as well as the centre vents and you're laughing. Shame you didn't see my 'shell pieces' sale thread or I could have cut you a piece out.
    Actually I've blanked off the centre vents, tbh I'm not a fan of having hot air blowing in my face so I don't see that as a loss. Yes it might have been a bit easier to use the original fan mount, though it wasn't that hard bending a bit of sheet up to do the job. Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Continuing the stuttering nature of this thread, here it another small update.
    In order to round off work in the engine bay, I really needed to sort out the set-up of the Swirl Pot, Fuel Pumps and Filter, these I intend to mount on an alloy platform which in turn will be secured to threaded steel bobbins welded into the upper bulkhead. As an aside I intend to secure the engine ecu, also mounted onto an alloy plate, onto the underside of these bobbins.
    First step lash out a load of cash on some components…

Unfortunately a few components are on back order so I’m not in a position to finalise the layout of the under bonnet fuel system set up, so I’ve turned my attention to the low pressure lift pumps which need to be mounted into a fire proof box. A popular path seems to be re-purposing an ammo box, but because I’ve got so much to do I thought I might as well add to the work by making up my own box in the rear seat well, and anyway there is no space behind either of the front seats!
    So the first step was to see if my planned set up would work, out with the peg board...

Happy enough with that, so its out with the ali plate and a few hours measuring and cutting hoses and hey presto.

That is about as neat as I can make it and it, which is a pity because it was still a bit too large to fit in my first attempt at a Fuel Pump housing, so it was back to the drawing board to enlarge my original CAD layout to version 2…

I have committed this to some steel plate, which will possess a flange around the top to add rigidity and give something to secure a lid to.
    All I need to do now is fold the steel, weld it together then weld it in place. Sounds simple, I just hope it actually is that’s simple…
    Last edited by TallDave; 28-08-17 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to fold and weld up my fuel pump housing ready to fit in the rear seat well

On examining the standard 'in tank' fuel pump outlet it really points in the wrong direction to enable an easy connection, my solution is to simply reverse it.

This done I simply had to make up a suitable fuel pick-up pipe, I decided to retain the standard in tank filter

Hits the bottom of the tank, which is nice...

Meanwhile on Monday the postie delivered this set-up for my High Pressure Pumps, very nice but freakin expensive

More soon I hope.
    Last edited by TallDave; 28-08-17 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did very similar. Kept the spi tank with the internal pump and swirl pot and made a 'straight through' pipe from the original pump. I think I welded a pipe clamp to connect it to to stop it moving about on the rubber, did you do similar?

Last edited by Iain; 09-03-16 at 09:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did very similar. Kept the spi tank with the internal pump and swirl pot and made a 'straight through' pipe from the original pump. I think I welded a pipe clamp to connect it to to stop it moving about on the rubber, did you do similar?
    Hi Iain, I had considered modifying the standard pump bracing arm, but because I've reversed the angle of the pick-up pipe and the single piece of cunifer seems to be stable enough. I've decided it doesn't warrant any further bracing. So just for a change I've not gone for the belt and braces solution

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any progress...???

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any further on?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest not a lot, had some personal stuff to deal with and so I've not really had the enthusiasm to really push on, add that to the desire and just get out on the stages meant I went out and bought a C2 all ready to go.... Obviously me being me I had to do some work on it first but I still managed to get out and do Abingdon (Sprint and Stages), got a finish that wasn't last...! Sadly I had some damage to the car, some due to a very poor previous repair, the other due to me clipping a pallet chicane as I was pushing a Polo driver who wasn't keen on letting me by...
    Fixing the damage to the C2 and sourcing a few replacement parts is diverting both time and funds but hey ho....

C2 Post Abingdon.... ouch!

Not to bad a place to work, notice the grey box on the tunnel, this contains the master switch, ignition switch and auxilliary controls, vast improvement on the original fitttings the car came with, notice steering column lowering blocks and extended steering wheel spacer...

Hopefully I'll get back onto the Nova at somepoint over the winter, in the meantime I'll add some of the small odds and sods I've done in the meantime. I have managed to reinstate all the photos into my thread and shut down my Photob*$?ard account sod them!!!

Anyone know how I can get rid of the PB messege in the RH margin, the administrator maybe?
    Last edited by TallDave; 28-08-17 at 06:36 PM.
    I love a good build thread, so heaven knows why I'm here...

My C20XE Rally Car Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Anyone know how I can get rid of the PB messege in the RH margin, the administrator maybe?
    Scratch that, now I've got rid of my PB links, refreshed the page, et viola the message has gone. Goodbye and good riddance

My C20XE Rally Car Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sod it, less of this slack behaviour, well ok maybe not...

Have an idea to make up my own pedal box, Tilton phaaa...

Draw it...

Bit of CAD

Transfer to metal...

Still needs bending and completion of fabrication/welding, then again maybe I can pass around a begging bowl in the hope I can raise the funds for one of Mr Tiltons finest...?

BACK TO REALITY I've finally completed my blagging of 16vCraigs "Dry Sump Pump Cutaway" of the offside chassis leg

Mark it up to cut...

Deep breath and cut...

CAD cut out transfered to (2mm thick) metal which is bent to shape...

Weld it all up, hmmmmmm...

Front of car almost done, just need to finalise my (front) engine/gearbox mounts now, but that is for another time....

My C20XE Rally Car Build