Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VX220 clocks

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so temp gauge you deffo need a mk4 astra ecu installed? guessing they have a car ecu separate from engine then?

surely there is a way of making the fuel gauge work ?
    cant you somehow use the vx/lotus sender?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess the fuel gauge issue depends on what you can install in the fuel tank on a Nova....

Another missing piece to the puzzle, Dom on MIG no longer makes the pulse convertors so not sure if the speedo would be accurate with one of those.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how come he's not doing the convertors anymore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nov 21 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dom
    Unfortunately I'm not building / selling any more stuff for the foreseeable future as I've started work full time and also have gone back to college so have no time to build / sell / support these units

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Game over then

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from the parts manual, the Lotus Stack seems to use an ABS reluctor ring on the driveshaft as a speedo pick up. All you would have to do is find out how many teeth are on it and make your own driveshaft trigger. Probably find a corsa ABS drive shaft has the amount of teeth as the rover/toyota if youre lucky. Then use an ABS hub and pick up and it should be easy to get it to work acurately. I cant see any info on the VX gauges to see how they work.

the temp sensor thing seems odd, why not just use the lotus/VX/Rover/toyota sender with the Stack? i very much doubt it runs through the ECU first as they usually use separate sensors.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll dig through the wiring diagrams I have for the Elise and see what's what.

the mk4 Astra, like many cars of its era (and the beginning of the modern good era) have an engine controller (what most call an ecu) and then a body control module which is also an ecu since it means electronic control unit

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    I'll dig through the wiring diagrams I have for the Elise and see what's what.
    thank you, need to get an expert on the case.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic/111831-speedster-elise-cluster/
    - S1 Elise => STACK unit with discrete inputs, direct resistor input for coolant temperature and direct connection to (inductive) pickup on rear axle toothed ring for speedo
    - S2 Elise with Rover engine => (8000rpm dial max) Original STACK and later Shurlok: very close to VX220 with discrete inputs, PWM coolant signal from ECU and speed signal from ECU
    - Early Toyota S2 Elises (111R) => (10k rpm dial max) CAN based for some functions, still some discrete inputs
    - Late Toyota S2 Elises/Exiges => (10k rpm dial max) Full CAN based connection, new dash design at later date (eg. black back plate on dials). May still have discrete speed pulse input for odometer counter

The coolant temperature display on the S1 STACK is done via a direct connection from the STACK to a temperature sensor (NTC resistor) in the cooling system.
    The vehicle speed signal on the S1 STACK is taken directly from a sensor on the rear axle with a toothed ring on the outer CV and inductive pickup on the upright (low voltage sine-wave signal)

So this needs no interaction with the ECU. You just need to install the correct sensor(s) and a speed pickup with the correct toothed ring for it to work.

The coolant temperature display on the S2 STACK is a PWM coded signal from the ECU (like the VX220/Speedster from the engine ECU).
    The vehicle speed signal on the S2 STACK is a high voltage pulsed signal from the ECU (like the VX220/Speedster from the ABS controller)
    manual: http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elis...ceManual11.pdf

fyi
    Last edited by meritlover; 09-02-15 at 11:02 PM.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking at making ABS sensor -> dash convertor for the VX folks as many want to do away with the ABS completely but its at the bottom of my development pile