Thread: Some 1.2 NZ questions.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some 1.2 NZ questions.

I have looked at the pulley for the altenator belt when the car idles, it seems to have a bit of a wobble, yet I slackened the bolt a little and there is no movement?

For fitting a cambelt, as there is a tensioner, do I need to move the waterpump or can I just use the tensioner to release the belt?

The thermostat has gone so I am going to put the new cambelt etc on but, I am going to make a hole in the back plate similar to Mk1s so that a thermostat change is a minor job in the furture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll just be the tension/pressure on it from the belt. Fine if it sounds ok/spins fine by hand.

No you dont need undo the pump (worth changing though?), just undo the tensioner to slacken the belt.

Im not sure if theres enough space/clearance with how the cambelt cover sits to do your final idea. I think even with a hole cut in the back cover something still prevents you from doing it, maybe where the mounting holes are for the cover etc. Not 100% its been years since i touched a 1200 8v.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I'll let you know how the hole idea goes tomorrow...guess what i am doing!

The cambelt, water pump etc on it looks recent. I have a spare camblet lying here so if I am removing the back plate for the thermostat, I'll put a new belt on.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cutting a bit out the back plate works fine for a later easy thermostat replacement, I have never heard of anything getting caught in the cambelt on a mk1 so it seems daft they covered the hole in the mk2. Anyway, I have a hot heater!

I investigated the wobbly pulley.....when it sits on the crank pulley, the hole in the pulley for the altenator has a bigger hole than the bolt centre which means it wasn't sitting exactly central. Just to make things even better, I managed to break the handbrake cable!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this might sound daft but do you have the bottom pulley on the right way round.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I have a spare 1.2NZ and it all looks right, I'll investigate it more tomorrow though, thinking about what you said, perhaps the washer is the wrong way round?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you could always do a custom fix, and drill a thick metal washer out, so theres just a thin outer edge left to it, to take up that clearance issue gap, and centralize the pulley. (washer needs to be just a hair thinner than the pulley face, so the bolt clamps down on the pulley, and not just the washer),

some may say cowboy, but when its bolted down on the alternator, it wont go anywhere. it'll save you the headache of running around for replacement parts, and will only cost you about 50p.

like this i mean :

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I think I will do something like that the next, time. I ran it today for work and was parniod about either damahe to the pulley or the altenator bearing, I checked it when I came home and it seems to have steadied itself with running...wierd! So I just retightened the fan belt, did an oil change so that's a full cambelt engine service done! Next step is the brakes and rear wheel bearing. Nova joy .