Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowps GTE - G37 HNT

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tailgate skin was a mistake, didn't check part numbers when ordering! Might sack it off for a decent second hand one yet.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Started taking underseal off last night, in doing so I exposed some more bits that need attention.
    A little bit and bottom of wheel arch

Dug the fibreglass out of the front edge

I soon got bored of scraping so decided to cut out some rot. Firstly drilled off the drivers side flitch panel to get better access to repair the hole I could see from the back.

Then proceeded to cut out the bad boy ready to make up the repair section

As I was then cleaning the surface up with wire wheel I came across more filler to from edge of strut top

Although not overly bad and repairable I'm now wanting a pair of inner wings as I want this to be mint when done, if I can't source any then will have to resort to repairing.

While on the hunt for panels, next job up is the battery tray.....

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There always going on that strut top inner wing tbh I'd just plate that

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few weeks since last update and made some reasonable progress. I managed to source a pair of inner wings thanks to Dave & Matt.

So cracked on and cut out the right hand inner wing

Then while access was easier decided to sort the battery tray, cut out the rot

And trimmed the repair panel to shape, swaged the edges to allow the joint to sit flush

Then welded it up, flattened it off and give a coat of etch

Then once that was inner fitted the new inner wing

And finally refitted the Flitch panel

Now on to the left hand side and do the same and I can then do the front panel. Feels good to making some progress now, hopefully the enthusiasm will continue!

Club Member Club Member DaveMarshall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice work. Also good to see the inner wings I sold you being used.

Dave.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to put wax in the cavities etc and ended up repairing a hole I discovered in my rear chasiss leg and three holes in the splash panels when preparing a Nova I just bought also described as "mint" by the seller. He was a twaat!

I have to say I am relieved to have not found as many things like you have but, good on you for doing the job properly, It will save you lots of hassle later on and you will know your Nova is solid. Why do people use fibreglass on decent cars?

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice work buddy.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers lads, frustrating how people bodge things, just doubles the work. To be fair the lad I bought it off hadn't s clue about cars and when I pointed things out to him he was devastated.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did similar work to a gte I had a coupe of years ago, took the flitch panel off like you've done repaired that area along with the battery tray I couldn't stretch to buying new panels tho. the previous owner had chicken meshed and fibre glassed most of the inner splash guards, what a bloody mess! nothing worse than fixing peoples bodges. will keep an eye on this build mate. you've made a nice start with it!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ben doodar View Post
    I did similar work to a gte I had a coupe of years ago, took the flitch panel off like you've done repaired that area along with the battery tray I couldn't stretch to buying new panels tho. the previous owner had chicken meshed and fibre glassed most of the inner splash guards, what a bloody mess! nothing worse than fixing peoples bodges. will keep an eye on this build mate. you've made a nice start with it!
    Cheers mate