Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathans Nova Fun Project

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a few shows looking around last year i decided to try and do abit of loom hiding, so made up some tubes at work from stainless and fed them from the scuttle to the headlights region, Just need to make the loom once the car is painted

Along the way ive notched the chassis leg for alternator clearance as ive now decided to go with C20xe engine, Ive had one sat in a lock up for a few years so decided this was the right time.
    I stitch welded entire engine back and inside inner wings,

All nicely smoothed also, Ive plated up most of the chassis rail holes and done a few repairs around the turrets which needed attention.
    I plated the electrical inlet also and re-positioned where the loom will enter the engine bay.

I also had to replace the bottom section of both inner arches.

So dont all this, treated areas and then re coated with tetra shutz.

To check for clearances i fitted the engine in and out about 6 times including mounting gearbox to ensure everything sat correct and bonnet would close.

And finally for now the engine has been seeing most of my attention, as the body went off to bodyhsop end of january for paint.
    Unfortunately the guy hasnt done a thing, so its back in my garage and moving onto a friends workshop for work and paint next month.

But here is what i was working on in the time the car has been away

I have alot of other parts ready but will photograph as i re assemble as most is currently wrapped up hidden away until the head is fitted with new followers and seals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neat work on the chassis leg notch. All looking great

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is the alt cut out not to high? I know engines will sit differently. But mines lower that than.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

loving this project ive just read the full thread. very good effort sir.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks All, and Benn from the way it sits it seems to clear no problem, when i did my checks.
    Thats why i test fitted with a full engine and gearbox properly installed.

Ive now just adjusted to the new alternator mount from the later engines and a 120a alternator with the old style belt wheel fitted and seems to give more clearance than before so all good

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So ive been busy still lately and spent nearly a whole month cleaning up my gearbox housing.

Finally Finished it along with engine mounts and plates

Ive also decided to clean up the driveshafts and hubs with the new 2.0 conversion ends and bearings

Also at the weekend i got the car taken over too the 2nd bodyshop this year.
    Hopefully these guys will actually do something too it.
    Ive been promised it back by end of June so heres hoping.

While ive been cleaning out the garage i found 1 of the old red tinted lights i did for my Vauxhall magazine shoot which had faded alot, so tried a bunch of products to remove the tint with no luck.
    So finally decided i would flat it back and lacquer it to bring it back clear. Hopefully this will look better with my new colour scheme.
    Just need to find the other one somewhere

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So i Finally have the car back from paint, well the shell at least for now to start rebuilding.

I know some may not approve of my colour choice but i want to do something different

Ive also completed building the head and starting to source new stainless bolts etc to fit all ancillaries.

Next Step is to fit the new suspension, Remove and clean up steering rack and paint up servo.
    Then start to re install engine and build new wiring loom

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it the grey that seems to be on a few newer cars? It's a very marmite colour but I've seen it on things like Audi RS3 and it looks good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great in primer, can't wait to see it painted.

In all seriousness I love this colour and it really suits a Nova. Contrasts well with black and a splash of colour.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its a Ford St 200 Grey called Storm Grey, Been a fan of the colour ever since i saw the st200 come out. Just took me a long time to get the guts to go for it.
    Iain well done your the first of many i expect to say that .

Yea i have some coloured parts for the engine and few little touches to paint. But will mainly be black and grey.

Got the inner arches painted up last night and removed the old avo coilovers.
    Tonight plan is to get front arms removed and possibly steering rack so that can be repainted and refitted but i start on the tucked loom