User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lower panel replacement panel choice

Hi All

First up I had better introduce myself . I owned nova's back in the 90's and was a member back in the day, not sure why my join date is 1970 tho. I have just returned to nova ownership and brought a GSi which needs restoring so I will no doubt be bothering you all with inane questions that you probably answered many times , Ill do my best to use the search function before I do ask tho.

First job I need to tackle is replacing the front panel and the front cross member/tie bar mount , I found the How to guide yesterday which is a great help . But it wasn't until I read the guide that I realised you can get the front panel with the cross member attached. I have the cross member and now need to get a front panel. I just wondering if its worth me ebaying the cross member I have and getting the combined panel?.

My reasoning is that the combined panel will just go in as one part and have less alignment issues. But the 2 panels will allow me to paint and treat the inside of the cross member before welding on the front panel . But with this comes the issue of how good a fit the 2 panels will be to each other .Also the front panel I need is only £30 over the £109 for the combined panel.

Any thoughts/previous experience will be greatly appreciated

James

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome along James

I replaced the front panel on my gsi last year first id say see if u can find a gm front with the cross member as 1 part its easier to fit an better quality.

second once u have the old one out clamp the new one in an refit wings bumper ect to check all the gaps an fit its been said loads of times but really is essential

last i primed mine with u pol zink using rattle cans an a straw to get inside the cross member and again with the paint. I finished it inside with a boat load of dinatrol cavity wax till it ran out

Hope some of this helps Rich
    Last edited by rich a; 17-09-14 at 08:12 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply Rich, I think ill get a front panel with the front cross member attached to save a bit of agro. Been googling to try and track done a genuine and come across a company called magnum car panels , anybody used them as some of there panels are 1/2 what other companys are charging

James

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The alignment is quite easy, I wouldnt let that put me off fitting a 2 piece fr panel.

If it ay bost dow fix it! Club Member Nobby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i changed the front panel on my v6 and didnt even brace it and it was fine
    " If you aint breaking you aint racing! "

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get the whole lot replaced. You never know what you find once you take the front panel off.

the car ain't getting any younger and you can really prepare the new part against rust and corrosion before it goes on.

however, if you don't I intend keeping it too long just whack the front panel on.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres no front panel left . The cross member is fubar too . So its all got to come out

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to bump this thread up from a few months, a friend has said he has seen a gsi in braintree recently a couple of times, just wondering if that was you eggy? Haven't been on here in a while and just stumbled across this thread as I saw your location was braintree.