User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile whats it worth... doing

Hi folks.

I've had my Nova for about 9 years, it's spend the last 8 years in my mums garage, SORN'd. I'm doing my direct access motorbike licence this week, with a view to getting a bike next year and keeping it at my mums, in the garage. I need to make my mind up regarding the nova...

Its nothing fancy, its a burgandy merit shell, with a 2.0 seh, lowered, red sr interior, to get it to where I would like it would mean spending a lot of money getting the rear arches done properly, the whole thing resprayed, new wheels and even then its never going to worth what I'd have spent on it as its not a gsi/gte, its not a 20LET, let alone a redtop engine, its not and never going to be 'mint' underneath.

I could alternatively get it to a garage say to them 'get it mot'd' and then just rattle can it matt black so the panels are all the same colour at least, get it taxed and insured and thrash it about for a bit, i remember it being a hoot to drive about in before I took it off the road, that could just be rose tinted specs though.

Or as it gets plenty of interest from folk when I tell them I have a nova locked away in a garage I could just sell it as a project, with or without spare parts or chuck it on ebay with no reserve, but what would I get for it apart from agro from timewasters, a couple of hundred quid?

So, I was just wondering what you do if you were in my shoes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't rattle can it, would get it done properly and just tidy her up as a toy

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Matt black looks utter muck.
    tidy it up.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keep hold of it, agree, Defo no rattle cans on it.

I had my GSi tucked away for 6 years after moving in with the girlfriend in our 1st house together, where it sat, fixed the engine up then went to look at the bodywork and realised I had none of the skills to save it. Only this year did I start again to move it from.my garage with it only going one way.... For scrap. That car was me growing up and it pained me to scrap it but it was too far gone. If it only needed sills and rear arches I would have spent the money on it and that was after spending a shed load on it 3 years before we moved in.

So I'd personally keep it and do it properly if you want to have something That you want to keep and enjoy.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your dilemma, to do it properly is too much money but to sell it you'd get very little.

My swing was a mess when I got it and I had no intention of restoring it. I got it MOT'd and spent 3 years running with the door bottoms taped on etc, and the car looked like it! There was hand paint on the bottom half, wiring was a mess in the engine bay (it had been converted by previous owners).

I loved running the car despite the fact that there were mechanical issues due to previous owners and the car looked awful.

After a few years I started putting some original interior back in, original wiring etc. I learnt a lot and replaced the doors, rear arches, sills and so on. I eventually restored the car over 5 years whilst it was my everyday runner and in 2011 it was featured in practical classics. It is not like new but I love it.

So, whilst most restorations are ground up, if you don't have the skills or money, run the car (that's what they are actually for-driving) and do it up as you go along, when money and time allow?

Lots of folk restore thier novas and then leave them in garages, I have seen quite a few Novas that are immaculate but have not been on a road years after the restoration, what's the point in that.....drive the thing!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the problem is I'm just not interested in it anymore, I don't need another car but I need the space, it would be a different story if I had a massive garage with plenty of space. I put a new radiator on it today and it seems to be running fine, I think I'll change the oil and then see about trying to get it mot'd and take it from there.

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christ View Post
    I think the problem is I'm just not interested in it anymore, I don't need another car but I need the space, it would be a different story if I had a massive garage with plenty of space. I put a new radiator on it today and it seems to be running fine, I think I'll change the oil and then see about trying to get it mot'd and take it from there.
    Definitely see what the mot brings. If it going to cost lots then you have to sell it on. If no problems then getting going again and see how you feel in a few months.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im gonna dive straight in, and say get rid of it

sell it for £800, or whatever you feel its worth, and buy something better

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could possibly be interested in this if you choose to get rid, as im looking at getting another project soon. So if you want to inbox me about it, that would be great

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would get it mot'd and drive it about for a bit if unhappy sell up and if you enjoy it fix it up!