Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Random Grey C20LET GTE replica

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is it that you do Tony if you don't mind me asking? Are you at uni or full time employment?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How far away fitting the engine are you?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanKirkpatrick View Post
    What is it that you do Tony if you don't mind me asking? Are you at uni or full time employment?
    I'm a full-time student at uni. Going into my 4th (and final) year in September, then applying to do a masters the following year in between doing an internship.

Quote Originally Posted by krobinson View Post
    How far away fitting the engine are you?
    Just got to fit a new timing belt belt, as realised the other day that they only last 5 years (whether brand new and/or unused) as they apparently perish. Thus doing that on Wednesday to be on the safe side, then finger's crossed engine and box in either this w/end or next, as want to fit the brake pipes, fuel tank, rear beam and suspension first in order to get the rear wheels on. Then it's just a case of dropping the engine and box in and building up the running gear so as to fit the front brakes and wheels to get her rolling.

Have ordered a dsop downpipe and Bastuck exhaust system, which should be here in a few weeks, then get it booked in for fitting once it arrives.

The rest is the wiring, which thanks to yourself I now understand what I'm doing, as have spent an inordinate amount of time trying to get my head around due to not having the first clue about wiring.

Last is the re-upholstering of the interior, which will have to wait till around Nov/Dec.

The rebuild has been held up due to an acute infection of my finger which is still infected after 3 weeks, but now on the mend after lancing the barsteward and squeezing all the poison out of it on Friday.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for a quick update. Been working frantically to try and get the old girl up to a certain stage of progress before I started back at uni last week, and just about everything that could've gone wrong went wrong . Threaded one of my powder coated hub carriers due to the threads for the caliper mounting bracket bolts to go in being powder coated! So had to source a secondhand carrier as quick as I could, strip the sod, send it for powder coating, and re-order a new wheel bearing, and that is just one aspect which went wrong ... There were loads of others I'd really rather not recant .

Anyway, with that all said, I have achieved some progress, namely getting my head around the wiring, re-fitting many bits and pieces, including re-doing my brake pipes in kunifer, then hand polishing them before fitment. Built up my new GSI tank, fitted the sender unit etc, which I shall fit up soon once I get the car on its wheels and out the lock-up.

Engine and box will also be going in very soon - hopefully over the next couple of weeks.

Dsop downpipe arrived the other week; and still waiting on my exhaust (which will arrived this Thursday) due to the person who placed my order at Regal forgetting to actually place the order with Bastuck themselves despite paying for it 3-4 weeks ago.

Here's a couple of pics for the thread ...

Fuel Pump Cradle re-assembled with new parts : )

Anti-roll bar and tie-bar lowering kit fitted with new powerflex bushes : )

Engine bay looking generally more complete and ready for its donor

And this big bugger is up next once I re-fit the newly powder coated and re-assembled hub carrier

I'm having the rocker and timing belt cover powder coated in solid gloss black, and the spark plug cover in gloss red with black lettering. Also having the sump powder coated silver, as has only been painted and looks out of place.
    Last edited by HouseAtreides; 14-11-15 at 04:26 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the colour of this car. Things look like they are starting to come together, putting the engine in will feel like a big milestone.
    Good work

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by totalnova View Post
    Love the colour of this car. Things look like they are starting to come together, putting the engine in will feel like a big milestone.
    Good work
    Thanks bud Have to say I love it too - was a purely random turn of events that led me to choosing the colour, which was originally only meant to be used as a base coat to show up any imperfections in my repairs due to being direct gloss. Is definitely one of, if not my favourite colours.

Things are a lot more together than what I am able to show in my updates due to lack of light and space in my lock-up and not being able to pull the car out at the moment due to the mishap with the wheel bub carrier. You're spot on though: fitting the engine will be a massive leap forward in the progression of this build.

Have ordered a bespoke car cover for it, which has a 3-4 week lead time, so once that arrives and the engine is in I'll be able to book the car in to get the exhaust system fitted, as the front windscreen and rear quarter windows can't be fitted until the roof lining has been re-upholstered along with the rest of the interior, which means ensuring the car is covered in transit. Once the exhaust system is fitted, it really won't be far away at all: some wiring (which I'm sure will throw some unexpected problems my way) and plumbing, and then the re-upholstering of my interior, which I'll be booking for November.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust finally arrived today and is a pretty stunning piece of workmanship if I do say so myself Opted for no silencer in the centre section, and a 70mm non-rolled tailpipe. The exhaust itself is 64mm (or 2.5") diameter, which will pair well with the 70mm dsop downpipe, as it is generally fine to go from a larger downpipe to a slightly smaller exhaust pipe.

A nice little touch from Bastuck is that they etch/stamp the specifications of the make and model of car that the exhaust is designed for, where it was made and part no./code on the rear silencer; the centre section has a chrome plate tack-welded to it with the same details

Had one of these before on my previous LET Nova and they really do sound lovely - not too loud, not too quiet; just right - and it lasted the test of time very well. The build-quality and methods used in making them really are second-to-none if anyone is ever thinking about getting one for their Nova.

Last edited by HouseAtreides; 14-11-15 at 04:21 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look's a quality exhaust. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost as thinking of upgrading my system on my let nova?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by torquey View Post
    Look's a quality exhaust. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost as thinking of upgrading my system on my let nova?
    Aye, they're well made, for sure. It wasn't cheap at 449 sterling; but, then, I didn't think it was over-priced either given the quality over cheaper alternatives. Worth upgrading to if you want to invest in a decent system for your CLET.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That ain't a bad price like you say compared to other cheaper systems. Will definitely consider it cheers.