Thread: Random Grey C20LET GTE replica

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Random Grey C20LET GTE replica

Thought I would share my restoration project, which, by the way, is currently still underway, of my 1991 Luxe to a GTE.

Started the shell work in June of this year (2014) and finished restoring it only a couple of days ago (September 2014). - not a bad time frame for a full restoration during my time off as a student during the summer.

I have added are some photos of the car as it stood when I bought it a year ago (April 2013). The car had only 42,000 on the clock, and purchased it off a young gentleman who had neither the time nor the inclination to restore it to its former glory (as most people who appreciate these old cars now want to do).

With the old engine and gearbox being removed, inspection of the old girl was made a lot easier, and like most Novas that look good you can usually bet your bottom dollar (like my one) that they're still going to require a fair share of work in order to get them looking like they did when they rolled out of the factory 24 years ago (and in some cases, hopefully, better).

Nevertheless, panels and many bits and bobs were purchased over the course of the year from when I purchased the car, trying my best to buy genuine GM parts where possible with the vast majority being reproductions, such as the wings, front end, and n/s rear quarter repair section, battery tray etc., etc,. In fact, the only genuine panel I managed to source was a full o/s rear quarter from a helpful gentleman on here who brought me one back from the Netherlands after miraculously discovering that such panels were still available at a time when my car had recently been stolen, joy ridden and crashed whilst being pursued by the police. So, understandably very grateful to that particular individual without naming names.

Have just realised how much I have to write in talking those who are interested in reading this thread through my restoration project when I should in fact be studying. Think I will do a bit each evening or so, and hopefully not bore everyone to death.

Next step was to purchase a rollover jig in preparation for having the shell soda blasted (not sand blasted, as sand contains a lot of moisture and gets everywhere - in places you would never imagine - which for these old things is really not very advisable given that they are quite partial to rusting in ordinary circumstances).

With the jig purchased and the date arranged for the soda blaster to come and strip the old paint and sealer off the shell, I waited in eager anticipation to see the extent of work that would necessarily need to be carried out. For those who have never used soda before as a medium for removing paint and sealer, I have mixed opinions on the method. The good points are that it only removes what is necessary, and by that I mean it doesn't remove sealer which doesn't need removed. Also, not only is it a lot finer than sand and therefore doesn't pit the metal, the soda left on the bare metal acts as a barrier to slow the process of oxidation which gives you a bigger window for carrying out the necessary work on the shell without feeling like the car is falling apart as fast as you're attempts are to prevent it from doing so.

More photos to follow (of course)...
    Last edited by HouseAtreides; 24-08-15 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pics are broken mate

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    Pics are broken mate
    Broken, you say? As in not being displayed? No clue how to fix that. Must say, I find this site less than straight forward to upload pictures onto. Alas, my project remains anonymous ha.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems to be more hassle than it's worth trying to figure out how to upload photos of my restoration project on here, but I'm sure those of you who have an interest in it will get to see it in the flesh next summer at one or two of the events

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you trying to upload? Get a photbucket and put then on there. Then it'll give you and IMG link and just paste that on here and that's it

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by millworm View Post
    How are you trying to upload? Get a photbucket and put then on there. Then it'll give you and IMG link and just paste that on here and that's it
    Agh-ha! Will try that when I get a moment, thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find the best way is to upload photos on face book then copy and paste them on to here. hope that helps
    ^^^ did you just read that? what a idiot ^^^

PROJECT 2 FAST 2 FAT clicky

''lifes what happens, while your busy making plans''

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by turbojolt View Post
    I find the best way is to upload photos on face book then copy and paste them on to here. hope that helps
    Definitely a useful (and probably easier) alternative, thanks. Will try uploading using Facebook if I have no luck using XnView... Typical, tried downloading photobucket but is incompatible with windows 7, hence XnView.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy Mary and Jerome, I must be computer-dead to not be able to upload these photos. Cannot see how to do it using either XnView or Facebook.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Photbucket is all online? And facebook is easier all yu have to do is right click on the image, get the URL and paste it into the image option on here