Thread: New nova Owner Project! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool New nova Owner Project! :)

Just purchased this msa log booked Nova shell last week.
    Came with no engine or gearbox which i don't mind as i can go as wild as i want
    Just want to build a fast track/ road car

Few pictures of it the day after i bought it before it went into my garage

It is a very clean shell, Obviously been welded before in engine bay but it is fully strengthened, seam welded and well looked after over the years.

Also bought these to fit aswell :D

Had to make custom brakets as they are terribly wide!

Started then the other night so after another night and some bracing it will be finished!

Not going to be much of an update as i am away offshore tommorrow for two weeks.... But means two weeks of ebay buys i suppose so i have lots to come home and do :P

Still not sure what engine to run in it. Was thinking of a 1.6xe on throttle bodies so its light and nippy but we will see! I do have a complete vectra with an x18xe1 engine but there is so few mods for this engine which is kinda putting me off. Any opinions on these two engines?

Obviously there is the red top route but i find the big blocks just to heavy for a fwd nova.

Helped my mate do his 2.0xe nova a few years ago,

Heres some pics

Thanks for looking and any hep along the way will be appreciated. Especially engine choice wise

James

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a nice project, what makes it msa?
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, Im not too sure, All i know is that it used to have a 14xe engine in it and the msa is like the cars log book i think

Not all that clued up on the racing side of things to be fair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a good base for a project, I'm not 'feelin' the centre exit exhaust but that's just my conservative view.

Keep us updated, I've replied to your engine choice thread btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a really clean shell, looking forward to updates.

Regarding the MSA logbook..... Before a car can be used in motorsport ie. rallying it needs to be inspected by a senior scruitineer to confirm it conforms to the MSA regulations for the discipline it will be used for. At the end of this process an MSA logbook is issued. The car can then be used in competition. Everytime the car is used for an event the MSA logbook is produced at scruitineering. Any changes to the car (ie colour, fire extinguishers, engine size etc) are recorded on the MSA logbook. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't done an update for a wee while, been busy working offshore but just been home for a week and managed to completely strip it down to bare shell. Forgot to take pictures of the shell bare but im sure you have all seen one before. Everything was pretty simple and had no problems atol.

also managed to remove the X18xe1 from my vectra i had lying around. Only took about 2 hours to have engine and gearbox out in one piece. Removed the gearbox as it was a hydraulic f17. Wanted to retain the cable clutch system on the nova.

Went to my local scrappy and stumbled on a f16cr gearbox. So had to get that, and also bought a o/s engine mount for the engine. As the guy was unfamiliar with his new card machine he charged me by accident the total value of £0.50 ��! Which in my eyes is a bargain!

mounted the gearbox to the 1800. Everything bolted up fine and then decided to trial fit it in the car. Everything was fine and simple and sits nice and level. I still need to get the rear gearbox spacer kit for it to bolt up properly. And hopefully that will fix the n/s mount issue I'm having. Managed to get one bolt in the gearbox but the others look miles off. Perhaps the bush is worn or something because i just cant get it to line up with all three holes. I will sort that once I'm home.

Also been busy clearing out my garage and bought a heap of new equipment, new welder, side cabinet and shelf so have been busy trying to tidy the place up so the nova can have a permanent home ��

new welder

Garage half cleaned out ��

Since i am now stuck offshore for the next three weeks i have been on eBay quite a lot and making alot of decisions.

Things i have bought recently

• carbon door cards
    •200mm clutch with bigger splines for f16
    • fuel tank from a gsi
    • 811 hose fittings for fuel and oil hoses I'm going to make up.
    •5 meters of an-8 braided hose
    •10meters an-3 braided hose and fittings for brakes and pedal box

Still to buy

•mk2 dash, possibly the carbon fibre one of cmcomposits
    •facet fuel pump, swirl pot and filter
    •Jenvey 45mm throttle bodies, linkage ect
    • standalone ecu, and wiring harness
    • custom interior loom to work lights and wipers ect
    •Mk4 golf rear disc conversion and plumb in hydraulic handbrake
    • Pedal box
    •competition engine mounts
    •oil cooler and sandwich plate adapter

•z18xe engine parts still to buy

performance exhaust manifold
    cams
    vernier pulleys
    forged rods and Pistons ( possibly )
    lightweight alternator
    lightweight flat type flywheel and clutch pressure plate
    Relevant sensors depending on what ecu i go for

• chassis

Acid dipped
    full respray
    roll cage extended to front struts
    Fibreglass bonnet and boot
    aero catches throughout

I will see how much i can order before I'm home so i can come home to a mountain of parcels ��

hopefully i will actually get some time to do something productive next time home ��!

All input from others is welcomed.

Really struggling as to what ecu i should go with! There is that many and obviously every manufacturer says theres is the best.

I will also try and take more pictures next time home!

Thanks all ��

James