Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Sport Rep Road Rally Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like the idea with the battery, should look neat and tidy once it done.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N/S front is the heaviest corner on the car.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    N/S front is the heaviest corner on the car.
    Care to elaborate?

O/S front would be heavier wouldn't it, with the engine over on that side. Also, if you're having a jib at the battery placement then I chose there as it's accessible and reduces the cable lengths needed significantly. Recent regulations with rallying prevent you putting it in front of the navigator's footrest which would've been my 1st choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great battery position. Might be worth getting measurements of the equivalent Varley and Odyssey batteries to make sure the hole accommodates future battery changes.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Great battery position. Might be worth getting measurements of the equivalent Varley and Odyssey batteries to make sure the hole accommodates future battery changes.
    Thanks

I believe that this Lucas one is the same dimensions as a RedTop20 (or 25) and the equivalent Odyssey. If it turns out that I need a higher capacity battery then we may need some rehashing. A Saxo I use to co-drive in ran an Odyssey (20/25 equivalent) and that would crank over the high comp S1600 lump no bother. If need be I believe there's a gear reduction starter I can get off a z18xe engined zafira
    Last edited by Peredur; 20-10-16 at 08:39 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The O/S front you would think is the heavier side but it isn't; could the battery not be put any lower and or further back in the car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corner weight proof required broad, I would be amazed if the drivers side wasn't heavier especially when seated

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ideal position would've been behind the navigator's footrest but with the impending rule changes it would be stupid to put it there and have to move it when I apply for an MSA logbook.
    There is room behind the nav's seat however I don't see the point of it if I have to run an extra ~1kg of cable. Where it is now is lower than standard and easily accessible. Given these constraints I think it's a fairly reasonable location for it

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long overdue progress update!

Got a hold of a pair of ex-Prodrive WRC Sparco Carbon buckets and couldn't pass on them, got them back home and mocked up - it'll be cosy in there to say the least! Never realised how small they are inside 'till you put two huge winged seats in:

Fitted my Plumbed-in Extinguisher using M6 Rivnuts behind the drivers seat:

Made a recess in the back panel to accommodate a 2nd spare wheel, then fitted spreader plates for wheel strap mountings:

Got myself a Kevlar sump guard plate from Hifibre. It's a direct copy of HHMS's alloy offering:

Then I fitted it with some UHMWPE (abrasion resistant plastic) rubbing strips which I beveled on the router before bolting down with Titanium Hi-lok fasteners and aluminium nuts:

Eventually, after a long time looking (and saving up) I got a biiiiiiig jigsaw piece that I'd been hankering for for a fair while. A 6 speed, Crunchy, Clacky Dawg Box

It's a Quaife 6 Speed F13/15 Gearkit with a 4.86 CWP and a HHMS 90% plated LSD with F20 side gears, which should mate up nicely to the shafts I got off Will Foy

And finally, trimmed back the last of the lip in the bulkhead before seaming it all up. Quite surprised with how it came out given how little I've welded up to now:

So, I hope that I can carry on with the shell over the rest of Feb and in to March to hopefully get her off to paint before April comes around.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    The O/S front you would think is the heavier side but it isn't; could the battery not be put any lower and or further back in the car?
    This is not true.