Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Sport Rep Road Rally Build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are you sure that your wipe linkage arms won't fold in under the strain of the motor, they're not the strongest of items at the best of times?

Club Member Club Member Jonesfach's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    Are you sure that your wipe linkage arms won't fold in under the strain of the motor, they're not the strongest of items at the best of times?
    Yes I don't think they will last too long...

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm hoping they should be fine as the stength is carried through the fact that they're U sections. We'll see, if they fail then I've a spare linkage I can put on.
    Last edited by Peredur; 11-05-16 at 08:50 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why bother lightening the boot hinges and wiper linkage when you are welding on double gussets on the B pillar and your pedal box is sat on box section? surely single gusset (or even just a small tab?) and a bit more ingenuity with your pedal box would have been a better use of your time and effort? for what its worth, i know that comment is a rather catty, but i do like the rest of the car so far, i just dont quite understand the benefits of drilling or shaving such small amounts of dead weight when you have the option of engineering out more of the excess with your fabrication work. having said that, if you are happy when you are doing it then maybe thats enough to justify it.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kenny_afh View Post
    why bother lightening the boot hinges and wiper linkage when you are welding on double gussets on the B pillar and your pedal box is sat on box section? surely single gusset (or even just a small tab?) and a bit more ingenuity with your pedal box would have been a better use of your time and effort? for what its worth, i know that comment is a rather catty, but i do like the rest of the car so far, i just dont quite understand the benefits of drilling or shaving such small amounts of dead weight when you have the option of engineering out more of the excess with your fabrication work. having said that, if you are happy when you are doing it then maybe thats enough to justify it.
    Fair point, not catty at all mate.

On the pedal box, I prefered to have the mounts be a bit more substantial for the sake of preventing anything from twisting or giving way during use. Overall, compared to a standard pedal setup I think a net weight loss has been made (even if not much) so I'm happy to compromise there to ensure a proper mount is used.
    Again, same logic on the gussets really, just wanted to make sure that the shell is as strong as can be, hence why you'll find that I've not teabagged the shell with a holesaw, only removed surplus bracketry so as not to compromise the strength of the shell.

Appreciate the feedback though

should have some worthwhile updates soon enough now.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think your doing a good job mate. keep it up

like southie said, im interested to see how many swipes you can get out of those wiper linkage arms,

if, or when they break, maybe replace them with aluminium rods. will be stronger than drilled, and still lighter than original, without forking out a packet on ridiculously expensive carbon bollox
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 16-05-16 at 10:36 PM.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, Some progress has been made,

Modified the carbon throttle pedal with some countersunk titanium fasteners, may end up with some grip take on it to prevent slippage:

Then did some intricate CAD work to mock up a false floor/heel plate for the pedal box setup:

Which was duly transferred to carbon:

Then the shell has been away to be blasted and etch primed, quite pleased with the result as there's very minimal patching to be done, and overall its a nice solid clean shell:

Aaaand finally, I stripped the 12ST donor engine ready to be sent off for machining as the an alternative 1200 build is afoot. Block came up nicely after a quick degrease and pressure wash, will be dipped before the machining and build:

Axle was mocked up yesterday but the Golf caliper carriers were the wrong ones so new ones are on order, ready to be fully built next weekend hopefully.
    Last edited by Peredur; 27-06-16 at 08:11 PM.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Managed to get some progress done

Finished off the lightened handbrake with cylinder bracket:

Got the stubs and caliper brackets cleaned up and painted:

Then built up the rear beam, golf discs and calipers on Pro-Tec brackets. Just need to slip the ARB and polybushes in and the beam is good to go:

And then got the shell back on the spit to remove all the pipe clips & studs off the underside and trimmed down the rear valance. Still a bit to lighten on the shell but I'm not going too mad on it:

Decided to dry build most of the interior considering there's a lot to go in (extinguishers, battery, heater, footrest, seats etc.) and I need to mock up the engine and box for the airbox, gear linkage rods and strut brace. Decided it won't be ready for November so going to get it ready (fully run in, setup, ready to rally) for July 2017 for my Dad's charity classic car run, where it'll run with his mint, 16,000 mile 1.2L :

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blimey! That 1.2L is clean! Great work on the build so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been a while since I updated this, managed to get some progress done at the weekend following buying a new welder (CWS BestMig 160i - top bit of kit)

Popped in to see my machinist/engine builder to take some measurements of the new pistons & rods in the newly bored block, currently doing calcs for final piston crown machining & comp ratios etc. - The beginings of the S1202 build :

Welded in my captive inserts for the HHMS linkage on the custom platform:

Did a bit of CAD for mocking a carbon centre console, it'll be transferred to carbon next time I'm back home on the car:

Drilled the penetration for the HHMS linkage rod then sleeved the rack mount with some 1.5mm wall tube:

Finally, decided to utilise the empty space where the servo would usually reside to mount my battery so set about mocking up a tray there however the bulkhead slopes outward, therefore I chopped a whacking great big hole there to sink it back in. Will box it all off in a couple weeks: