Thread: Sport Rep Road Rally Build

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Sport Rep Road Rally Build

Some of you may know that I was building a 4dr mk2 loon for road rallies (Clicky)

However, a few weeks ago a friend (dionbee on here) offered me a hatch shell with a cage etc already in so I decided to pack in the 4dr and use the hatch shell as a base.

Aforementioned shell:

The aim is for it to be a road rally legal, stage rally car so that I can compete on local road rallies then eventually progress to stages.

As with the loon, I'm keen to get this on quite light, my target is ~700-720kg in full road rally trim. Bit of a tall order but I'll give it a go.

Spec wise the plan is as follows:

Engine:

C14SE based
    AST3 Cam
    L&B Bottom end
    Split Webers or Dellortos

Box:

F13 CR
    Swap a few cogs about from various other F13s
    4.53 FD (Hopefully)
    Cable Gear Linkage

Suspension & Brakes:

HHMS Bilstein Coilies
    Gravel spec springs
    GSi Rear ARB
    4 pot front brakes
    Golf rear discs
    Lotus Bias Pedal Box
    13" Wheels

Shell/General:

Weld-In Roll Cage (already in shell)
    Bucket Seats
    6 Point Harnesses
    Fuel and Brake lines inside
    Fuel pumps in box behind seat
    Battery inside
    Sump and tank guards
    FG Bonnet + Tailgate
    Spotlamps
    Dual Reverse lenses
    Misc rally wiring
    Dual cowl dash
    Lightened doors
    Polycarb Windows
    Misc Lightening

Any comments welcome, I hope to get this one done by my local event in March

Thanks
    Last edited by Peredur; 11-08-14 at 07:33 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spec sounds ok, any particular reason for the c14se? I wanted to go 1.4 16v but I already had the 1.6 8v...assume the 1.4 was what you had or is it a class choice. What's the budget? What ever it is based on my experience double it!!
    Good luck....subscribing now...

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's going to be a 1400 8v based on a C14SE with some 12ST components thrown in for good measure and running on split webers or dellortos - aiming for about 120bhp, reason being that 16v's have to keep the standard (unbelievably restrictive) manifold for road rallies, I want to keep it 1400 to be eligible for 1400 class awards and that an 8v can run a carburetor rather than fuel injection.

Budget is roughtly £4.5K but I've got a fair few of the bits I need and thus is why there isn't a sccr box or diff on the spec list as i simply can't afford to at the moment.

Also, due to the budget I'm going for the lightweight approach as lightening components is virtually free

Thanks
    Last edited by Peredur; 11-08-14 at 07:34 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like a similar spec mine will be hopefully. Cage looks nice any more pics?

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not got any more pics at the moment Connor, thb I think the spec I've outlined should be plenty competitive for road rallies and I've a view to do BTRDA events in the 1400C class so it should be competitive there as well.

Got a few bits coming my way next week so should have a proper update then. Will start on it properly in the next few weeks

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, good spec coming together. There was a set of split webers on Facebook for sale the other day and laddo wanted quite a bit for them, think they sold though. Wouldnt bother with a rear disc conversion, extra weight over drums and no real gain especially if you will be using the handbrake :-)
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Boffer, that was a lad I know selling the splits but I've read up on the old school mini way of doing it so might have a bash at making up a set myself.

From what I've heard on rally forums, drums tend to lose their handbrake effectiveness over the course of and events hence why Protec developed the golf disc conversion.

With a hydraulic handbrake I would have thought discs would provide more consistency than drums

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, they can be easy to do depending which way you do it, some people think its a waste ( me also ) but can see why you need to do it for regs.

To be honest, with the weight of your car i dont think you will need the discs. I ran drums on the night rally car/autotest car with a hydraulic handbrake and never had a minutes drama with them, operated fantastically well and they got a **** load of abuse on the BTRDA autotests, a lot more grief than you will give them on a night rally for sure!
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long overdue update time!

So, Not much has happened other than gathering more parts for the build and getting the shell rolling.

Got some windows off Top BTRDA contender Justin Lawson:

Lightened a door handle for lack of anything better to do:

And just an engine bay shot to show the extra bracing etc.

So... Hoping to get a bit more done in the coming weeks, few bits to do on the shell before paint.

Hoping to be done by a local rally in March or failing that one next September.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice design that, tidy and out the way

you can drill a few more holes in that handle surely