Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My weekend of gearbox discovery...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My weekend of gearbox discovery...

Old Skool story stylee

So this weekend has passed now and I can reflect back on what was achieved and how close we came to a costly disaster.......... It started on Saturday night, I was busy busying in the gym until Stuart arrived and rescued me from near death and heat exhaustion. We locked up the gym and flew back to my place for a good old banter, ordered 2 nice little pizza's and set out our 'game plan' for the following day. After much feeding and watching tv and chatting it was 1am........... MUCH to Stuarts horror I was bouncing around like a school kid come 7am and that's where the day almost fell apart. We took the quaife box apart, it all seemed farrrr to clean. with a puddle of gunge in the sump (wtf) . then it hit home something was going to be wrong here. Many hours later we had to cluster stripped checked and all the bits from inside the box collected up.

To start with we had a snapped off selector fork bouncing around the box quite happy, to keep things linear a few of the fingers from inside the box had kept him company, along with a few bronze mates and plenty of swarf to bath them. Amazingly there was NO damage to any other internal part and we inspected each item with great detail as the stripped it all down....

Luckily I had 2 spare f16's so parts were not an issue. many hours of fighting these apart for salvageable bits (they were sealed from new) we could see daylight at the end of the tunnel and for an added bones we also have a spare 3.94 final drive for good measure. By this point the heat was killing us off, tempers were fraying because of those pesky circlip's and we had eaten our brunch. Out comes the cheesecake, I tend not to share these as they only feed '4' which is lies as we all know and a good 5 minutes can see a man polish these of no probs, but as Stuart had made the effort to help me I cut it in half and did the decent thing (chose the biggest half for myself ).

Onto the home straight, we built the quaife box back up with all its new and almost new parts, put the diff back and tidied up as little as possible so we could move on and die peacefully in our own environments (although I must admit I feared he might of crawled up his own arsehole as the gas expelled all day from our healthy eating could of potentially drawn him back into himself). My only sensible conclusion is the 0.8 5th gear is no good for my style, so I am going to source a 0.9 5th gear and install that instead.

I'd like to say a massive thanks to Stuart, over the last 15 years or so he has backed me up and been a great mate and always been there to help when things get beyond hammers and swearing .

The end

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were hammers used in anger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i sincerely hope they were

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great story.
    Ya never see stuff like that on here anymore.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this also available on Kindle?

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great read!
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures???

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 88ESR View Post
    No pictures???
    Degreasing every 5 mins to take photos.... Sod off

i do want to rebuild it again in the winter though as I have some cunning ideas to prolong the life of some components. So I'll take some pics then. I've also got an f13 which I plan to strip and clean to turn into a table lamp and as they are built in 95% the same way it'll be compatible.

it was quite a laugh despite hitting a few walls and finding out quaife are pikeys at times

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha seen the pic stylu put on FB , looks like you had a decent old Skool style of weekend , before everyone got old haha

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And this is why forums are still worth there while, two guys enjoying them selfs playing around with a dirtbox for the love of pie