Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Nova GSi Rally Car Build...16 years and counting...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1401 View Post
    Stick with it pal.....know where ur coming from...mines 11 uears n counting come may 12th this year....nearly there
    I've given up stressing too much about time taken but it is getting personal now

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomfromdelmonte View Post
    So have you got a shell and how far are you planing to go in terms of shell prep, just cage or are you strengthening and seam welding too?
    The new shell is seam welded with some strengthening (not a full HH plating kit). Also got the front leg modification for access to gear cluster. Painted white in and out like yours but no period graphics! I do like the grey interior in some I've seen but didn't think about that in 2001 when the shell was prepped! The cage is an SD 6 point bolt in. I want to add a weld in brace at the back for extra stiffening and securing belts. I need to check the regs on the cage not sure where I stand these days...any immediate advice? Pics to follow

Last edited by AndrewC; 02-05-14 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Added pics

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that if the cage is based on an approved design (i.e. tube thicknesses may not be as per blue book but the design has been approved by fia/msa) and has a certificate then no you cant add to it. However if all the tube thicknesses are as per the blue book then yes you can add to it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread needs more pictures!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Tom...wasn't thinking of adding to the cage, I think a brace between the rear suspension/arches would be good. I was more worried about the fact that it's an old cage, I don't see any stamps on it and certainly don't have a certificate

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok let's see if I can now add photo's. First objective was to get to rolling shell, so cleaned up the front suspension and sprayed with primer. Looking at the other builds I now think that was lazy and will have to finish the bottom arms and anti roll bar properly. Also polybushed suspension (Powerflex Black Series) and rose jointed ball joints from Protec Motorsport. Alan at Protec has been a great help.

One of the bearings was badly worn so replaced that using basic tools as I don't have access to a press. Still felt like a tiny bit of movement in it so not happy but carried on anyway....will come back to that

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gone gone for Bilstein front struts just because that's what I know. I'm sure in due course I will want to upgrade those to adjustable. I fitted alloy top mounts (Compbrake) too, didn't realise I needed to use the standard upper spring plate and damper pad, that was a fiddle. The disc shield has gone now to clear for the four pot calipers.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well this is a cracking little thread, I love nostalgia and seeing a Nova resurrected back to form is always a good thing

Subscribed btw so look forward to updates on your progress.

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, this is going to be interesting.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Southie. Not caught up to date on the thread yet...hoping this will motivate me to progress the build, not done much since October last year thanks to work commitments. Been so impressed with some of the stuff on here. Was up till 2am reading the Swiss Track Car thread last night....just excellent