Thread: 1400 Vacuum Advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1400 Vacuum Advance

Hello,

I am after a vacuum advance for my 1400 car'd Sr. It is currently way off the pace in the Endurance Road Rally Championship (nothing to do with the driver I am sure!)

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what style dizzy has it got?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a very good point. I will have a check this evening; it has been through 4 1/2 engines in the last few years so I can't remember!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Pete, for Motorsport you are better off not having the vacuum advance connected, it won't tick over properly and you will get pinking issues if you set the advance where it needs to be. I am fair
    y competitive on endurance events, top 1300 in 2012. Are you out on the south west in March? Come and find me for a chat, silver 1300 SR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Dave. I am fairly new to enduro. I did the x part last year and pretty much everything that broke, did. I blew a top hose due to the fan stopping, got going again (tapped up) then the head gasket was starting to go then I broke the fuel pump. Suspension knackered, exhaust, chassis leg... anyway back for more this year!

I am guessing you have screwed the base plate down and rolling roaded it? Did you get the pierburg jetted then? I am on a budget and I am fairly sure the car is way off the pace so undecided whether to go the easy route with a working vacuum? I might be out potentially for that, depends on if I get a few things sorted first!
    Last edited by sr_Pete; 01-02-14 at 08:55 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The key thing is to have a reliable car, if you can get to the end you will get a good result. Work on reliability first, put new ball joints on, they are a known weak point on the rough stuff. The south west is much smoother than the xpart, proper forest tracks, you'll love it. The big improvement on the carb is getting both chokes to open together and getting as much air as possible, the jetting won't need adjusting really as you can't change anything from standard.

As I said make sure everything is up to standard and working as it should be, get the tracking and camber spot on, make sure the carbs in good nick and then don't lift off for anything!! You might just keep up with a rover if your lucky. Come and have a chat next time your out.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 1.4 NV and I did buy two dizzy's and was told each time the vacuums were working and they didn't. The car was mainly a track car so I experimented with the timing until it suited the car best for higher revs. The idle is a bit lumpy but the car is a lot faster than a normal SR.

With not needing the vacuum advance, I ised the vacuum for the second barrel in the carb, I also used a modified pierberg 2e3.

A lot of folk commented on how well it went for a 1.4 at knockhill at the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, it definitely found the weak spots of the car at least! The south west sounds fantastic and a bit easier on the car. The carb could probably do with a bit of a freshen up, the car feels pretty sluggish at the moment. What Nova is yours Dave? Silver mk1 SR? I will come say hello next time I am out.

Cheers Marc, it seems like I will have to come up with another solution like you have done.