Thread: pickling the brain

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default pickling the brain

Ok in the how to section tells you how to turbo a 1.6. 8v engine.
    im looking for a turbo manifold that will fit on to the engine. I know thay courtney did a manifold
    But you hardly see them up forsale and ive heard the corsa vxr manifold fits.
    would someone know what manifold fits the engine... as I can not seem to get my head around it.
    ive never put a turbo on it a engine .tho I did get given a t27 turbo off my great uncle .
    also would I be right in thinking where you have the rad you would replace with a duo rad ??

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its probably easiest to use the standard gte manifold, and cut & weld a suitable plate to the bottom of it, to mount the blower. that's the easy bit tho

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a start if you are taking advice from someone telling you a corsa vxr turbo will fit then you may as well give up now. And not sure what you mean by a duo rad. Never heard of such a thing

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone one here had done similar I know not who but
    a VXR will no go on
    b modded gte or tube mod to 4-1 manifolds are the only way to go or find one like you said
    c internals of engine will need work to lower the compression

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burgo View Post
    For a start if you are taking advice from someone telling you a corsa vxr turbo will fit then you may as well give up now. And not sure what you mean by a duo rad. Never heard of such a thing
    dual core radiator was what im meaning. Sorry for spelling errors and no making much sense of it all. Kinda totally lost on the hole turbo idea. Ive heard so many different ways. Im ok at welding panels an such . But ive heard peopke running in to problems making your own manifold
    an wouldnt a home made manifold be different to manufactured. Just want as much information as I can get on the idea an what problems along the way I could run into.
    I did enail courtney and a few companies an ive had no luck

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a lot of the job will be pretty custom.
    when it comes to turbo's, there's pipework all around the engine, so youll have to measure out areas of space and cut pipework to length to suit the bay, then join everything up with silicone elbow hoses.

the fueling and ecu side of it tho, I have no idea whats involved. you might need to run separate management for that ?

also youll need to calculate compression ratio's, to avoid killing the engine. you might need to skim down the piston heads or such work to balance things out. or depending how mad you want to go, all the internals might need strengthening.

theres a lot of work involved turbo'ing a car, and from what ive noticed of other peoples cars, there always getting airleak issues with them, and are forever fixing them.

if you can do it right tho, youll have a quick car on your hands.
    Last edited by jimbob-mcgrew; 25-01-14 at 03:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to solve the compression problem, you need to decide if you can afford a standalone ecu or not.. if yes, you can keep the factory compression ratio, if no, then you need at least a spacer.

consider this too, you need to at least fit new piston rings & lap in the valves on an old engine before even thinking about fitting a turbo.

as for the turbo manifold, make up an adaptor out of a block of steel, so it bolts to the manifold & the turbo flanges. its actually the easiest part of the conversion.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on how much boost you plan to run will depend on how you go about building. If you're going for 10psi or less there are ways around lowering your compression ratio (thereby leaving the block internals unchanged).

First off I would never turbocharge an engine without going for standalone management - with this level of control over the fuel and ignition you can dial it in to run on high compression.
    A decent intercooler is a must and will lower intake temps - this allows the use of higher compressions
    A higher octane fuel will allow the use of higher compressions

Combine these 3 things above with low boost and a decent mapper.

Also another alternative is water/methanol injection systems, these are great for lowering intake temps and raising fuel octane (both again allowing the use of higher compressions).

Either way you look at it - if you want to turbocharge an N/A engine and you do it cheap - it will be **** slow and probably blow up. If you spend money it will work BUT bare in mind this is not the best value for money if you want power, fitting a C20LET is still going to yield the best bang for your buck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At the end of the day its not worth doing. Cheaper and easier to put a redtop in.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a z20let engine .am I right by thinking that the hole shell will need welding and strengthing in places to stop it from twisting. Only reason I dont want to go the old red top engine is too many people have done it an want to be different.. I wonder has anyone out there done it.
    Also with atleast buying the donor car ill have the break system with it an any bits needed.. the theory behind seems to add up in my head an on paper. But what do you guys think