Thread: My first Nova (HELP)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My first Nova (HELP)

So.... I have just gone and got a LET Nova and have a few questions regarding wheels / arches / suspension

The car is still on standard shocks and springs, im not sure of the exact wheel size but im sure there 15s (will get exact size later)

Anyway... Still being on standard suspension you can imagine what its like (the tracking is also out to)

The front is very low and solid
    The back is very bouncy
    When i hit nasty bumps the front drivers side tyre hit the arch on the edge on the tread (dont think passenger side hits)
    When i put my foot down the back wheel rub the arches on the outer wall of the tyre

Its not very nice to drive at the moment and is holding me back driving it so need to get it sorted

Am i right in thinking i need a better suspension set up with stiffer springs then the front should sit a little higher and not rub when i hit bumps? Also if i get stiffer springs for the back when i boot it the back wont compress as much and wont rub?

Or do i need different wheels that will fit better?
    Should i get the arches rolled?
    What coilover kit should i get that quality but not thousands of pounds?
    Wheres the best place to buy a coilover kit?
    When i get the tracking done what should i ask them to do? Normal tracking or toe in or toe out?

Thanks for looking in

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tracking..standard Nova tracking but only after all the suspension mods have been done.

I have set mine up but it is not a let, its just an xe. Also I am not an expert, I am still experimenting.
    I have put on fk coilovers with 325lb front springs, there are many better coilover kits available depending on budget, the car is sitting 90mm lower than standard but this is for track use, for road use you could raise this to somewhere about 40mm lower and use softer springs? If it is for track I would suggest 350lb springs, that's what i should have done.
    If you are on 14" wheels the rear arches will be fine or even steel 15" but, if it is 15" or above alloys that have a fair width, the arches need rolled, the fact that yours are rubbing tells you this.
    When you buy the coilovers make sure you get stiffer springs and uprated dampers for the rear too, it will probably all come in one kit.

PS, the xe I had was used before for road use and was on standard deisel Corsa B suspension with 15" steelies, it was fine for road use and looked almost standard

Senior User Club Member MARTIN KELSON's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It won't be standard shocks & springs if it's very low & hard.
    do you know or can you post a picture of the wheels?
    Rubbing I suspect is due to wrong offset of wheel. Nova's are very critical of correct offset. The standard offset is 49mm so as near to that as possible, give or take a couple of mm.
    Tyre size also, if your on 15's what tyres you running? Ideally a 195x45x15 if your on the wrong wheel offset & maybe a 50 profile tyre your going to have trouble.
    Hope this starts to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheels are 15s and tyre size is 195 / 50 R15

When i got the car i was told it was on standard suspension?

Whats the best thing to do? Get wheels that will fit or roll the arches?

Have a look in the project thread theres a pic of the car in my thread there

Senior User Club Member MARTIN KELSON's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First I would try wheels that fit without 50 profile balloon tyres.
    Where in the country are you, you could do with trying some first?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok thanks

Im in Portsmouth, Hampshire