Thread: Clarke mig welder

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Clarke mig welder

I have half inched my dads Clarke 135te turbo mig its using co2/argon mix has anyone got one on here and what settings r u using? so far best results on 1mm sheet steel is setting no 2. min on power and wire speed about 7 but it still looks c?ap any ideas cheers

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would guess at those settings you are getting the welds sitting on top of the metal and not penetrating it very well/if at all.

I have the same welder and use the same gas - I find that I am always changing the settings to fine tune; you need to reach a balance where you are getting enough wire to make a good weld but not too much power you are blowing holes in the metal!

It is very much practice, practice, patience and more practice!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers kent im only practicing on scraps of metal at the mo would it have different results if I was welding 2 pieces together ? but your right it seems to leave little weld or blow holes in it what settings do u use ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive got the same welder too. Use feed between 6 ~ 6.5 and run it on high power. Don't do massive continuous welds as itll blow through it. Also youd be better off using a C02 not a mixed gas.

Incedently, I used that very same welder to do these end plates onto 10mm RSJ's with nothing more then a hobby bottle of gas (C02), feed on about 7 and full power. Was accidently drop tested from about 8ft in the air narrowly missing Lee's feet and didn't even crack

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all in the way you do it really no hard and fast setting just need to play with it get 2 plates and keep apparat 1mm and tack it in a few places then weld it up tweaking the settings till you get weld on the back side if you get this right you can weld anything. This is the best test you can get you will not get a good gauge from laying welds on plates

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mike I thought it was better using gas with argon for some reason what difference does it make out of interest ? will it make a difference when I start trying to weld 2 pieces together as aposed to just running down a single piece. Also what setting do u have it on 1 or 2 ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rich a View Post
    Hi mike I thought it was better using gas with argon for some reason what difference does it make out of interest ? will it make a difference when I start trying to weld 2 pieces together as aposed to just running down a single piece. Also what setting do u have it on 1 or 2 ?
    C02 argon is for aluminium ideally (using a different flux aswell) pure C02 is best suited for mild steel. And as said, smacking some flat welds down wont really learn you much other then torch handling, you need to be fusing two pieces together for the weld to take any kinda real form/definition & learn a lot more.

I always use mine on high power (cant remember which it is though, 1 or 2?)

Also, how far is the electrode tip/torch head from work piece and what mask are you using?
    Last edited by Mike; 08-01-14 at 08:35 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mask is a Clarke one not sure which it has 2 dials inside for reaction time and something else so its pretty good . The tip is about 20mm from the work ish might be a tad more

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgbnova#1 View Post
    It's all in the way you do it really no hard and fast setting just need to play with it get 2 plates and keep apparat 1mm and tack it in a few places then weld it up tweaking the settings till you get weld on the back side if you get this right you can weld anything. This is the best test you can get you will not get a good gauge from laying welds on plates
    Cheers dave think I have been weeing in the wind with my attempts at practicing will get some practice on 2 pieces and see how I go

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rich a View Post
    The mask is a Clarke one not sure which it has 2 dials inside for reaction time and something else so its pretty good . The tip is about 20mm from the work ish might be a tad more
    Its auto mask then. Two knobs inside are for reaction/dim out (a lot or little) & type of welding (TiG & MiG/MMA). Try going in closer, 10mm or little less. The gas is for shielding the weld giving a nice clean burn, closer you are, cleaner/neater the weld. Or some bolloxs like that anyway (Im not no professional welder sure some one will explain better/correct me )