Thread: An amplifier that will do the job?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An amplifier that will do the job?

I have just bought some Auna CS Comp-8 3-way component speakers for the front of the Nova. Link:
    http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Auna-CS-...800W_i5685.htm

They consist of
    2x 8" woofers @ 400W RMS each (going in the doors)
    2x 4" midrange @ 400W RMS each (OE position inside dash)
    2x 1.5" Tweeters @ naff all because they are tweeters (not sure on position - maybe wing mirror covers?)

Now I need a 2 channel amplifier to power these right? As I assume the stereos internal 45W amplifier might not be up to the task

Ideally with the total RMS output of the speakers being 1600W (4x400) I would want an amplifier that pumps out the same RMS amount right? But do I really need that much?? It's not as if it will be used for competition - hell I doubt it will ever be louder than 1/4 of what they can handle. Reason I ask is because I have an old Pioneer GM-X922 amp which says it pumps out 150W RMS over 2 channels, will it do the job?

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amp should be able to handle the setup you described above. I'd say 2x 150 Wrms is enough to blow up your ears, let alone power this composet.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...you can always get yourself a bigger amp, should you feel the need.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't get me wrong by this reply but I've played with a lot of audio over the yeArs and For a set of 3 way component that cost £50 these power out puts might be a little over rated and the quality/ sound will not sound good, for an amp to power them I wouldn't even bother, if your happy with your purchase then carry on and hope your happy be in my mind the best thing to do is bin them save some money and start again,

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty narrow minded, the money to quality ratio isn't exactly linear. A long time ago when Sony first came on the market they offered top quality hardware are budget level prices, they made a loss but once the word spread and they got a reputation they ramped up the prices and people still bought them.

Do a search for these speakers, people rave about them - for the money they will do well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you planning on running them active or passive? I'd try them on 100 wrms per channel and see how they perform, remember to get the best out of an 8" woofer in a nova door it is going to take a lot of sound deadening or it's going to sound like you've fitted them to a biscuit timid personally try them in some kick builds

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Passive. I have bought plenty of sound deadening for the job

To be honest I will rig up the old amp I have here and see how I get on, if it's not up to the job I will simply upgrade it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would advise something like a second hand Alpine V12. Should be able to pick up something off the bay for £30-40. I used to have an MRV-F307 (alp v12) that was a beautiful sounding thing. I forget the actual output, was circa 4x30 iirc & it sounded waay more through either a 4way 6x9/fr components setup or running the components & bridging it for a 12" Sub. Likewise you can pick up many a bargain when it comes to older stuff, which by comparison is far better than any of the modern chinese stuff.

I do think your system will fail if proper attention isnt paid to mounting the speakers upfront. Either way I hope to see the install appear in your WIP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Are you planning on running them active or passive? I'd try them on 100 wrms per channel and see how they perform, remember to get the best out of an 8" woofer in a nova door it is going to take a lot of sound deadening or it's going to sound like you've fitted them to a biscuit timid personally try them in some kick builds
    I can't see 8"s going in kick well builds, I made some for 4"s & Edd did 5"s which I thought were a bit too intrusive. Thinking about it, seeing as your 4"s will never go in the dash (they never do) I'd put them in some kick well builds, Tweeters in the dash & Try & build the 8"s into the rear quarters or parcel shelf even?