Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Indeed it is, wont be attempting it on the current car, ofcourse this means some more work for my steel man, I'm sure he'll love it!!

It does mean that I can't fit the new engine into the existing shell for mapping but such is life!!

Been thinking on location for the tank we think we've got it sorted.

Team Shonky annual trip to Donnington on Saturday. Should be a laugh and a fun day out, no doubt Iain will break something as usual.
    i have the same problem, orderd an pace dry sump setup with the 7l tank but no idea on the location of the tank.. thinking about placing the tank inside the car on the passenger side footwell. of course with extra protection as you don't want hot oil inside the car in case of an accident .

are you gonna run full vacuum, or an extra breather on the valve cover?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    i have the same problem, orderd an pace dry sump setup with the 7l tank but no idea on the location of the tank.. thinking about placing the tank inside the car on the passenger side footwell. of course with extra protection as you don't want hot oil inside the car in case of an accident .

are you gonna run full vacuum, or an extra breather on the valve cover?
    We're talking about a shelf cut into the bulkhead for it to sit into, in not sure I'd want it in the passenger compartment for the reasons you say, fire being the biggest downside I can see.

I believe full vacuum but I'll talk to Craig and see what he thinks, I don't really have a clue on these things!! Haha

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice 1! Yes breathers shouldn't be venting directly off the engine. IMO tank inside the car & as far back to again help balance.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dry sump. Nice.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good purchase. The way you drive the current one I'm surprised it hasn't had oil pressure issues !

Tank in the bay works fine, moving it to the back is fine but it needs a proper enclosure then a fair bit of Aeroquip, fortunately it's a nasp so the engine would run sealed so no need to breathe to the tank which is one less hose to find a home for.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonlem View Post
    Good purchase. The way you drive the current one I'm surprised it hasn't had oil pressure issues !

Tank in the bay works fine, moving it to the back is fine but it needs a proper enclosure then a fair bit of Aeroquip, fortunately it's a nasp so the engine would run sealed so no need to breathe to the tank which is one less hose to find a home for.
    what do you mean with nasp?
    in some applications you see that the breather on the camcover is kept in place to breathe the engine. pace even has the following plumbing diagram on their website, here you can see an breatherline for the camcover:

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naturally aspirated. Generally the engines are sealed. Turbo engines though we breathe to the tank

I wouldn't run the oil cooler on the feed either, we always fit it on the return on dry sump installations.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, that's interesting. as i have an turbo engine i would like to know why you would breathe an turbo engine to the tank?

I have seen different oil cooler setup's and everybody has an different opinion.. some people advise to start without an cooler as the oil temps are lower as the oil is stored in external tank etc. i don't really know what to think about it

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My understanding is that you will get blow by on a turbo motor so it need to go somewhere so breathing back to the tank is preferred.

If the tank is in the boot the chances are you wont need a cooler but definitely monitor the temperatures, oil cooler on the pressure side can cause issues, I've seen pressure loss, oil coolers explode etc. A particular dry sump we use sees around 6-7 bar at high rpm at 100 degrees oil t, from cold it can exceed 10 bar if you raise the rpm so we had to limit the rpm until over 40 degrees.
    We run a tank in the passenger footwell which holds 9 litres of oil, there is a 25 row 235mm cooler on the return line and generally in a 15 min race it's no more than 105 degrees in clear air.

Anyway for House I'd seal it, for yourself breathe from cam cover to tank then catch tank

back on topic now

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the ones I've seen the top vent on the oil tank goes to a vented catch tank right at the back underside of the car