Page 81 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131181 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get a full race out of my cheapo Wilwoods and off the shelf 276mm Mini cooper discs most of the time. Rc6 up front and Corsa C brakes / cheap pads in the rear.

They started fading a bit at Rockingham, but not enough to be thinking about a £2k upgrade just yet.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought 2nd hand brembo calipers off an Alfa GTV & combined them with VXR8 disks ~ even with whatever pads they came with (probably o.e) it's not shy.

The technicalities of it are; when the master cylinder(s) are lower than the caliper they're acting on, the natural flow is for the fluid to come back down. Hence why people put the residuals on; I didn't plan for this when I did it, but it's one of the few pluses with under dash pedal box has since it's above what's being acted upon.

Glad you've upped your steering technique & it's probably ISO setting on your camera. Are your seat mounts alright..?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    lospec for a reason graham.....
    There was no need do that Stewart

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonlem View Post
    I wouldn't advise buying another set of hi specs, that really is false economy. The Alcon AP route is expensive but worthwhile but for now just work with what you have.

Why have you got the brakes biased so far forward? If the fronts are doing all the work you will over heat them and suffer plenty of issues.
    Completely agree with the brake bias!!! not sure why it's all the way forward!! have just wound it back 8 turns and road tested feels a lot better!!! something to play with on track, need to get my rear beam, with discs on, it's being sorted now, should be ready for Blyton.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    I get a full race out of my cheapo Wilwoods and off the shelf 276mm Mini cooper discs most of the time. Rc6 up front and Corsa C brakes / cheap pads in the rear.

They started fading a bit at Rockingham, but not enough to be thinking about a £2k upgrade just yet.
    Mate, I couldn't buy the Alcons even if I wanted to, as discussed with you, Paul and Iain, a better option would be ATE's on 283's with RC5 or 6's, I've just played around with the pads on the hi-specs, moving them around to try and balance the wear, as above I've wound the balance to the rear 8 turns, 12 produced rear locking but 8 seemed ok on the road, might be able to go to 10 with warm slicks. Fluid change up front then I'll see how I get on at Blyton, Iain says it's easy on brakes so we'll see, Paul is bringing a complete ATE setup so worst case we can throw those on if mine are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    I bought 2nd hand brembo calipers off an Alfa GTV & combined them with VXR8 disks ~ even with whatever pads they came with (probably o.e) it's not shy.

The technicalities of it are; when the master cylinder(s) are lower than the caliper they're acting on, the natural flow is for the fluid to come back down. Hence why people put the residuals on; I didn't plan for this when I did it, but it's one of the few pluses with under dash pedal box has since it's above what's being acted upon.

Glad you've upped your steering technique & it's probably ISO setting on your camera. Are your seat mounts alright..?
    What tracks have you used your setup on?? On the road I've never had a problem with the brakes, they've been spot on, as soon as it's subjected to track use it struggles.

I don't get this, the fluid is under constant pressure from the reservoir,, if you loosen the bleed nipple then the fluid flows out of the caliper under gravity from the reservoir fluid, I can't see how the caliper can possibly exert enough gravity force to cause fluid to flow backwards to the M/c, the fluid in the reservoir is always clean where as the first 6 inches of fluid bled from the calipers after a day is grey. I really can't see this as the issue, the fluid itself may be boiling in the caliper causing a terrible pedal.

Steering technique is a lot better, ISO settings are set for daylight, it's only a cheap camera probably the problem. Seat mounts are 100% solid as, 40x40 box onto proper alloy seat mounts, can only assume it's flex in the fiberglass seat, I am 110 kilos after all!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love to try a trackday, but have to settle for development on the road time being.

Could it be the fluid itself; are you on a Dot 5? Fluid isn't under constant pressure from the MC else you'd have brakes that bind. If I had to guess it sounds like something inside the caliper has cooked if the fluid's discoloured.

Maybe consider some ducting to the inside of your front wheels?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    I'd love to try a trackday, but have to settle for development on the road time being.

Could it be the fluid itself; are you on a Dot 5? Fluid isn't under constant pressure from the MC else you'd have brakes that bind. If I had to guess it sounds like something inside the caliper has cooked if the fluid's discoloured.

Maybe consider some ducting to the inside of your front wheels?
    There's no way to compare braking on the road to the track, as said, on the road I've never had a problem with braking, yet as soon as I'm on track the problems arise, the constant heat generated is the problem, as Craig has suggested maybe I need to do 3-4 hot laps and a cooling lap, I don't want to do this but it's cheaper than £2000 for Alcons!!!

I have not said the fluid was under constant pressure from the M/c!!! I said it's under gravity pressure from the reservoir, therefore, the fact the calipers are higher than the pedal box has no bearing, the fluid flows with gravity, the fluid flows under gravity from the reservoir to the calipers, as stated, if you undo a bleed nipple then all the fluid will flow out of the caliper from the reservoir. I know, I've done it!!! It 100% does not flow back to the M/c.

Ducting is an interesting idea, Iain tried it with no real benefit. It's something to consider but would need some real thought, just a pipe wont work, it will need to narrow at the disc/caliper to speed the air up and maximise cooling.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How was Bedford? Did you both get in ok with noise regs on fly by?

I'd agree with looking at ap or alcons as an upgrade, I don't rate my hispec show calipers and one of the next upgrades

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tb16v View Post
    How was Bedford? Did you both get in ok with noise regs on fly by?

I'd agree with looking at ap or alcons as an upgrade, I don't rate my hispec show calipers and one of the next upgrades
    It's a huge track mate!! Like massive 3.8 miles long, bit of a weird setup with how the garages and pit lane work.
    Track seems to flow well, it's so wide that you can really go get on the power so early and use the huge exits!!
    As for noise we were both completely fine, Iain said he was lifting off when he saw the meter, I didn't give it a second thought, just drove!! At one point after 4-5 laps of me pushing Iain round the track they gave us a "spread out" board, which we assume was for noise reasons as they don't normally mind us following each other!! I backed off and gave Iain 200 metres then set about catching him again!!

Hi-specs are show calipers, no doubt, I didn't realise they do a "track" spec caliper with external link pipe and different seals, I'd maybe have tried those first. As it stands I've played around with the bias and will be using a disc rear beam for Blyton, I'll also have Paul's spare calipers, ATE's with spacers to run the hi-spec 283 discs, should mine end up ruining the day.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got bored watching cricket, easily done.

Made a start on these.

Just some thin 1mm plastic, cost me £14 delivered, made up some simple templates and cut them out, not perfect, but better than what was there and better than spending £350 on proper carbon ones.

Don't look as wrinkly in real life!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dislike this whole build thread miles to many people happy with you and the work done to the car.

I would like to knock you down a peg or to by pointing out you are a gay.

Thank-you
    ^^^ did you just read that? what a idiot ^^^

PROJECT 2 FAST 2 FAT clicky

''lifes what happens, while your busy making plans''