Page 80 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the same discs - 285mm redrilled Cossie disks although I had a machine shop to do mine from std ones

Assuming those discs arent warped then a proper clean up / light skim will work on them.

Use spacer brackets to mount the ATE calipers at 285mm instead of 256mm (or use V6 calipers with a spacer to inboard them a bit but those are heavier) then decent pads and decent fluid - Ive used all sorts but Motul RBF600 or RBF660 are both good.

I use Mintex F4R pads which are very good. I didnt get on with DS3000s as they didnt take the heat and started smoking badly.

Paul..

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loving all the camber and toe fun. That photo makes it look like you still have alot tho, Or is that what you wanted.

Track day work sounds great.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have exactly the same issues ,along with a few people I race with ,I wonder if the floor mounted box contributes. My fellow races swear by using the wilwood residual pressure valves , I haven't tried them myself but will if a proper bleeding session doesn't resolve the issue .As an aside it happened with both cheap Compbrake calipers and an AP caliper !

You can't get even faster as that will just embarrass Iain more .It was good to meet you boys yesterday ,you two have got it sorted and seem to have a right good laugh !

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Benn, I was trying to achieve 1.5 degrees on the rear, and even the toe out a bit which is what I've achieved I think!!

Mr Mex, as you know great to meet you and the big fella, and then watch you dissapear into the distance on cold tyres!!! I'm gonna need a bigger boat!!!

It's all about having a laugh, nothing too serious, Iain is a bit upset that I seemed to be able to maintain a gap in front of him!! I haven't got the heart to tell him I was lifting and coasting a lot and I weigh 40 kilos more than him!! Hahaha

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah ok, And you did it better than i did, i used shims.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, my videos a gash, need to sort something with the camera, can only see action in the car!!

Just a random lap, mostly happy to see I keep my hands at 9-3 on the wheel at almost all times and you can see my feet on the pedals through the gap on the seat and my terrible attempts at heel and toe!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say your brake issue lays mostly with the Calipers, we ran the same on the Corsa at Bedford funnily enough and Ben will tell you how much of a pain they were. We then went onto the Alcons but had to mess about with modded bells and brackets so they would fit but those now combined with the hockly pedal box and AP cylinders had been fine until her last outing.

The RS4-2 started to pickup on the rotors causing a heavy vibration so I've had the rotors skimmed and switched to a rs29 pad, I'll add some brake cooling as I've now painted the discs with temp paint and I expect they're generally just getting too hot as its quite fast on full power and it's not that light really.

I use performance friction 665 fluid in everything these days and I do highly rate the rs29 pad tbh. One thing I have been warned of is changing pad type without skimming the discs, that can also cause all manner of issues.

I had this kit done last year as a substitute for the Alcons. There are other Caliper options now but that's quite a good size Caliper and does fit inside a MO

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input Mr J, Iain, Ben, Craig, Paul and I have discussed it, there are several routes to try.

ATE calipers with spacer brackets 283 discs and Frodo or CL pads £100-150 - less braking but maybe more reliable,
    Recon current hi spec road calipers £200-250 - evidently not up to the job
    Try hi-specs track calipers £400 - better spec, leading and trailing pistons, external link pipes, look a better caliper
    Purchase a set of Alcons or AP's £1800-2000 including brackets, then hope they fit without too much mucking around

It's all a bit of guesswork really, I'd be happy with 15% less braking but knowing it was there 100% of the time.

I'm not sure I can justify the Alcons or AP's just yet, I love spending money but it's a lot, I think I'll possibly try the Hi-spec track caliper, my reasoning, I've to spend £250 getting my current calipers re-furbed and fixed, the passenger caliper body will be written off after the wheel fiasco at Mallory it is rather damaged, so essentially the track calipers will only be £150 to try and I'll bin off the road spec ones. If I still have no joy then I'm going to have to bite the bullet on some Alcons.

One thing we are changing is a switch to rear discs and moving the brake balance back to maybe try 25% braking on the rear, at the moment we're pretty much fully forward, which isn't helping.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't advise buying another set of hi specs, that really is false economy. The Alcon AP route is expensive but worthwhile but for now just work with what you have.

Why have you got the brakes biased so far forward? If the fronts are doing all the work you will over heat them and suffer plenty of issues.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lospec for a reason graham.....