Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    So as I'm a courteous trackday driver, I figured this mini is bang on one, I'll let him through and give chase, maybe learn a thing or two!!

Maybe not!!!!!
    Fair play for trying ! ,the mini was probably on slicks .You have to go off a few times ,that's how you find the limits,it's always hard to come off the brakes when you lock up knowing you still need to lose some speed 😀.Let me know when you are doing the next one hopefully my car will be ready

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by toymex View Post
    Fair play for trying ! ,the mini was probably on slicks .You have to go off a few times ,that's how you find the limits,it's always hard to come off the brakes when you lock up knowing you still need to lose some speed .Let me know when you are doing the next one hopefully my car will be ready
    Yeah it is, I probably should have stayed in a straight line and scrubbed as much speed as possible, I don't remember it locking up but it must have done as I turned in, possibly could have let off the brakes a little to try and get it round the corner a bit more, it was a pretty standard thing of realising I'd braked too late and at that point of realisation you're already on the back foot!!

live and learn, I went back to braking between 2&1 and felt much better!!!

I'm not sure when the next one will be, Bedford on the 23rd with Javelin, could have my slicks by then, or we could do a brands as I know it's more relevant to you, I'm only up the road from there too!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah it is, I probably should have stayed in a straight line and scrubbed as much speed as possible, I don't remember it locking up but it must have done as I turned in, possibly could have let off the brakes a little to try and get it round the corner a bit more, it was a pretty standard thing of realising I'd braked too late and at that point of realisation you're already on the back foot!!

live and learn, I went back to braking between 2&1 and felt much better!!!

I'm not sure when the next one will be, Bedford on the 23rd with Javelin, could have my slicks by then, or we could do a brands as I know it's more relevant to you, I'm only up the road from there too!!
    I like the idea of Bedford , I haven't ever driven there,although the 23 rd might be too soon unless I can get some motivation to sort the bits out .If you do Brands and I'm not ready I will come down and give you some pointers ,I know my way around there��

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm proper busy for the next few months so will be last minute if I can do stuff but I'm sure we can find a date for either Bedford or Brands.

Some pointers are always welcome as I'm crap!! haha

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out interest house what sort of bhp is the current engine making and what are you hoping for from the new one. Got to say I'm loving the team shonky updates

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rich a View Post
    Just out interest house what sort of bhp is the current engine making and what are you hoping for from the new one. Got to say I'm loving the team shonky updates
    Glad you're enjoying our escapades!! We do have a proper laugh!!

So with this built, I slung it back in the car, got it running and up to Jim and Steve at Track and Road in Essex.

4 hours and 3 cups of cold tea later, this is where we ended up.

Dialling out a bit more ignition we got it up to 187.1 BHP and 149.5 Ft/lb of torque, I need to up the rev limit to 7400 rpm and we should see another few BHP as the power curve is still rising as the limiter comes in at 6800 rpm. I need to fit the ARP's I've got in the garage, I didn't fit these during the engine build as I wasn't sure on the chamfering, I now know what to do and will get onto it within the next week. Might see 193 BHP with a slightly higher limiter.

Just so no one points it out the green power figure on the screen is power at the wheels, with run down transmission losses calculated the RR said 187.1 BHP as shown on the graph, the pictures above and video were taken from an earlier run while we were still playing with the ignition advance a WOT.

So in summary, you want it done right, do it yourself, trust no one!!!!!
    As above from earlier in my WIP mate, made 187 at the fly, but it definitely isn't making that now!!! haha number 1 piston is FUBAR, rings are knackered but it's still taking the abuse!!

As for the new engine, not really chasing power, I'm told it will make 250ish but if it makes a solid 225 and lasts I'll be happy. From the efforts of Jay and Darren everything is perfect in there so we've done all we can!!

Will get the clicky gearbox on the current engine and make sure it's all good in the current shell, then new engine and box into the new shell and mapping commences!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to shonky about either engine then fella. I only asked as I thought out dragging that type R would have been easier given the weight difference ( unless it wasn't standard and allowing for the cock not moving over )

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engine is on it's arse to be fair mate!! The plug in number 1 comes out absolutely caked in oil after just a session!!

I'll get it bored and a set of standard 86.5 pistons in it and under the bench as a spare/emergency engine, I think it's earned that privilege considering how long it's hung on for!!!

Iain out dragged that civic with his weezy pre-historic just dump in fuel system he's running!!

The Civic did have some weird looking shiny rear suspension arms with holes drilled in them, not sure if they're standard, maybe the engine had mods too (read that as clutching at straws hahaha)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XE with no rattle? T&R is a great place to be getting mapped, Greenald did mine.

I have a load of slicks for sale, drop me a line.

Those Civics can easily be anything from 150hp - 280hp. I had to race an 1800 one the other week that was big power N/A

Loving the updates.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    XE with no rattle? T&R is a great place to be getting mapped, Greenald did mine.
    You know what they're like Craig!! It all stems from the day I took the previous engine that he who must not be named had put standard shells on a ground crank.
    When they stated adding ignition the inevitable death rattle began!! And as it was before the trailer I'd driven it there so they gave me a map with all the ignition out so I could try and make it home!!
    Then when this engine that I built didn't rattle the map predictably was named "no rattle"!!
    Last edited by House; 31-07-16 at 09:31 PM.