Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Tidy job. Which FPR did you purchase? I only ask as I bagged myself a Fuelab 51502-1, proper nice piece of kit. Nothing wrong with push on fittings you posh git.
    Thanks mate, for the first time ever, Iain was actually complimentary of something I'd done!!!

As for FPR, I've got an FSE, same as I'm running now, I only run 1.9 bar fuel pressure so it's not doing loads of work.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think your clutch pedal has tweaked my calf you know....

Nice car tho, i enjoy it.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So few things have gone on here.

As previous posts explained wheel fall offage at Mallory, Housey not a happy boy, emergency hubs from Conor as we know, fitted so we could get to PVS, which we did.

As I was sick of people telling me the ratchet straps (that were a temp measure) holding the tank, were the most unsafe thing in the history of car building and I should flog myself with 9 cats or whatever people got whipped with in the olden days. I decided proper tank mounts were required.

Much happier and no comments from bellends at PVS!! I intended to remove the box and lower it as much as possible into the well but the chap that sent me the angle only sent 1 length instead of the 4 i ordered, so I've ordered more and once the tank is out of fuel I'll smash it on the proper angle mounts.

As you can see in this pic, rubber hoses for the FPR, I'd ordered an FPR with AN-6 fittings, decided to move it back up to the bay.

Crap pic for some reason!! Wheel well looks so much better with all the proper AN-6 lines

This is so much more gooderer. Made some changes to the lines from the bulkhead too, much prefer how they look

Next up, it seems the one billet one plastic brake resoviour was the most hilarious thing the weed smokers at PVS had seen, got bored so banged the other one I had on

Proper lines fitted from the M/c to the solid lines, so much happier with this now.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Onto today, left the house at 6am, quick 280 mile round trip to Norwich and back with the trailer to drop some parts at the office, stopped at B&Q to get some gravel, decided to neaten things up for the neighbours

It's not technically my land so I wasn't wasting loads of money incase someone kicks off, but it looks better

With that done and the 24hr Le Mans on the laptop, got started on the car. HHMS machined hubs arrived, decided to get them to build them up with studs for me, studs are lovely!!!

Got them on the car, lovely jubbly until...............

Disc doesn't go over the shoulder on the stud, quick call to Hockly, "Same studs we use on all our Vauxhall applications" Hmmmmmm

Stud shoulder, forgot to picture the disc hole but it was 13.3mm, luckily my mate in Norwich is an engineering gangstar, found me a 9/16 drill bit, which is 14.25. So.....

Disc adjusted. Then fitted, jobsagoodun, well it was until

Wheel doesn't fit either!! Quick call to Iain to see what he thought, bosh, drilled the wheel out, all the work is done by the countersinking on the wheel against the nut so the hole in the middle isn't overly important aslong as it's not a wizards sleeve.

So there we go, all done.

Turned my hand to the dials which I've not been happy with as it kept bending, made this 3mm alu plate up, just brushed it over with the grinder to take the shine off, hoping it'll oxidize and dull up and then I'll lacquer it. Really happy with the little angle bracket mounts I've made to hold it, even if I do say so myself!!

Last edited by House; 18-06-16 at 08:55 PM.

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great build this, going to copy the filler pipe out the window I think

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    Great build this, going to copy the filler pipe out the window I think
    Thanks mate but you sure you're looking at the same car as me?!? haha There's so much I don't like!!!!!

Big changes coming!! Mahoooosive even!!!

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post

Next up, it seems the one billet one plastic brake resoviour was the most hilarious thing the weed smokers at PVS had seen, got bored so banged the other one I had on

Proper lines fitted from the M/c to the solid lines, so much happier with this now.

I think you just enjoy winding people up as I honestly can't think of any other reason to fit just one billet brake fluid reservoir , though you really need to put some effort into checking fluid levels now!

I can't figure out why you didn't install the pedal box tight to the wheel arch to give a better position, but as I've said elsewhere different folks etc

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much the the HH hubs work out in total? I need another set for my Purple LET - I assume you went for the big block flanges and big bearings?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    I think you just enjoy winding people up as I honestly can't think of any other reason to fit just one billet brake fluid reservoir , though you really need to put some effort into checking fluid levels now!

I can't figure out why you didn't install the pedal box tight to the wheel arch to give a better position, but as I've said elsewhere different folks etc
    Mr Tall, I've never really been bothered by the steering wheel position being offset, my aim has been to get the brake pedal below the middle of the steering column as it is, I can't be doing with moving the column, on this shell atleast. As for the pedal box location, this is an interesting one, I spent a long time discussing it with Iain, I tried to get it onto the bulkhead and it just didn't work, the pedals were wonky and the steering column would have been in the way of the brake pedal. That being said, since I've fitted mine I've seen the black euro nova that's being subaru'd and he has the pedal box hard on the bulkhead. So........ it'll be floor mounted for the new shell, get it done properly.

As for the resovoiurs, I had to fit the billet one as my pressure bleeder wasn't doing the business on the plastic one, needed to get to Mallory and ran out of time to fit the other one. I don't set out to intentionally wind people up with these things

Quote Originally Posted by krobinson View Post
    How much the the HH hubs work out in total? I need another set for my Purple LET - I assume you went for the big block flanges and big bearings?
    Yeah went for the machined knuckles with the Audi 80 bearings, I wouldn't ever run a big block with the machined down hubs again, downright dangerous, I can't bleieve Elderkin actually helped me put them together, I reckon he did it on purpose to try and kill me cos he's scared I'm getting quicker round track!!

The whole lot came to £210, I supplied bearings, knuckles and the new hubs, they supplied studs and nuts and assembled them up.

Numbers if you're interested

Hubs :- Febi 0326194 £27.31 each from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3317597225...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Bearings :- Febi 3620 £16.31 each from ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1910854998...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by House; 19-06-16 at 09:17 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today was a mixed day, didn't go to bed til 1.30am as the 24hr Le Mans was on, was up again at 6 to carry on watching. As the sun was shining we took the new dog down to the beach where he attempted to dig his way to freedom. I hate sand.

Anyway enough namby pampy pussy shite.

Gotta love coffee table working!!

Wired up with plugs on for easy disconnect

Plugs added to the dash loom, few crimps used that will be soldered in the near future as I wasn't sure on a couple of connections.

Angle brackets added to the dash

All back together and working.

Also tried to work out a park feed for my wiper, but I think it's relay controlled and as I'm direct feeding the wiper motor I'll need to think about that one. Latching timer relay maybe.
    Last edited by House; 19-06-16 at 09:15 PM.