Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    Scary moment with that snapping! Got off lightly really then.

Oh oh and a cheese-less pizza... Hmm you Defs don't look happy with it
    Very lucky escape mate!!!

As for the pizza, it's revolutionary!! Iain has double crossed me here, he told me that pic was for Benn's eyes only, evidently the turn coat has had me over again.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damage assessment

I managed to get a new CV in at Mallory before loading it on the trailer so atleast I could get it on and off the trailer

Pads survived, caliper has some cosmetic damage, it's got bloody hot aswell, I'm gonna take it up to hi-spec to get some dust seals and check to pressure seals themselves are ok, pads look fine, I thought they might have suffered some CV grease contamination.

Got bored today so made a little start on the cage front legs, after long discussions with Iain, we felt the best plan was to leave the existing rear hoop in and weld the new front legs to it using some connection saddles.

Once this bar comes down level with the top of the door frame it's in exactly the right place for the saddle.

Same drivers side, I've even managed to retain the sides of the dash for mounting purposes!! Just need to move my fuel supply bulkhead unions and we're in business. Saddles on order from ebay!! Might not be properly in for PVS but will be somewhere close.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post

As for the cheese-less pizza, I'm telling you, it's revolutionary, I'm a pioneer, you guys are just too closed minded to appreciate the finer things in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Yeah looks like you're really enjoying the lack of cheese.

Just what i thought!

You told me to make a sexy pose for you to send a pic to Benn, this is as sexy as I get
    I did get it,

As for the pizza, it's revolutionary!! Iain has double crossed me here, he told me that pic was for Benn's eyes only, evidently the turn coat has had me over again.
    Was impressed it was what he said, normally he lies when sending pics... Ask him about the foot pic.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those mega expensive pads survived 'cause they are made of expensive stuff. Caliper don't look bad at all, seen much worse continued to be used. Stuck my Astra in the garage, dead flies and all and not touched it since. Blyton you say, mmm, might be on for that one as I love the place so better get my FPR sorted. Looking at Fuelab FPR now and might just leave my LET injectors as no point spending £600 on FPR, injectors and remap when i can just stick a new FPR on and be done with it.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Those mega expensive pads survived 'cause they are made of expensive stuff. Caliper don't look bad at all, seen much worse continued to be used. Stuck my Astra in the garage, dead flies and all and not touched it since. Blyton you say, mmm, might be on for that one as I love the place so better get my FPR sorted. Looking at Fuelab FPR now and might just leave my LET injectors as no point spending £600 on FPR, injectors and remap when i can just stick a new FPR on and be done with it.
    I like this plan!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So few little bits played around with.

Cage wont be fully mounted before PVS but I'll enjoy the bellends making comments about it only being held in with 2 M8 bolts on the front legs!!

Added the front door bars, as there are 2 on the drivers side, I cut one downand re-welded to play around with length, I've ordered some saddles from ebay to weld onto the bars and hoop when cut down properly.

Went down to Modus to use the facilities today.

Acid dipped the new knuckles

Hot wash

Then sand blast

Washed again, then heated up with a blow gun to get rid of any moisture

5 coats later

Ready to be shipped to HH for machining, just need the bearings and flanges (due Thursday) and they'll be away in the post, turnaround is a reported 2 weeks so fingers crossed Blyton will work on the 26th!!

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

going Audi bearings? I'd have left the paint until back from machining tbh. Don't suppose it's a big deal going over again if need be though.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    going Audi bearings? I'd have left the paint until back from machining tbh. Don't suppose it's a big deal going over again if need be though.
    Yeah I'll have to re-spray when they're back but I'll need to assemble and grind a little off the knuckles to allow the discs to fit them anyway, could have done this before but I'm out of time, need them away and back ASAP, I wanted them to arrive at Hockly looking like I give a f,uck aswell!!!!

Yeah we're going for the Audi 80 bearings as Iain has suggested, both Modus and the guys at the Phirm said they'd machine the knuckles easily enough, it was decided all round that for £120 it was so much easier for HH to do them.

Iain reports his bearings have been in 2 years with zero play at present, considering my wheel fell off on Nova bearings, that, I see as an improvement on my present situation!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts received at HHMS so hopefully back in 2 weeks ready for Bedford.

Thanks to Connor, I managed to source another machined down hub (he had 2 in stock), he pressed it in for me at his work along with a nice new bearing, not a perfect solution but enough to get the car back on it's wheels and allow me to drive it to PVS.

Out for a road test, caliper and brakes work fine so that's good, tyre is ok, I thought it might have been knackered after the 1/4 mile they dragged me with it locked but it seems ok.

Just need to get the tracking done and rotate some tyres ready for Bedford and we're good to go!!

No pics sorry!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any time glad to help